If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why do people keep saying that paper-based assessments are "extremely rare"?

Options
StillIRise
StillIRise Community member Posts: 178 Pioneering
edited September 2023 in Universal Credit (UC)
The statistics show that approx 15% of UC WCA assessments and a approx 20% of PIP assessments are paper-based.  So that's not "extremely rare."

Due to health conditions I've claimed UC / ESA and PIP/ DLA since around 2009 and during that time I have only ever been asked to attend one face to face appointment and one phone appointment.  Every other time they've assessed me it's been paper-based (and with the exception of one PIP phone assessment during lockdown, everything else was pre or post-Covid, so lockdown had nothing to do with this.)

If you send in comprehensive evidence to support your claim and a detailed questionnaire with plenty of clear examples of how your conditions affect you, it's generally in the DWP's interest to try to give you a paper-based decision.  It's cheaper and quicker. 
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,140 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't think i've ever used the words "extremely" i usually say "quite" rare, which is quite a difference. As i said on another thread 15% is still quite rate. If 1,000 people are waiting for a decision then only 150 of those will have a paper based assessment.

If you send in comprehensive evidence to support your claim and a detailed questionnaire with plenty of clear examples of how your conditions affect you, it's generally in the DWP's interest to try to give you a paper-based decision.  It's cheaper and quicker. 

Yup, i agree with that but a lot of people don't always fill the form in with detailed examples and that's the issue with a lot of refusals or people not being awarded what they should have been awarded.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • StillIRise
    Options

If you feel unable to accept the information I have provided you can easily find evidence by using Google.  These are not statistics I plucked out of thin air. 

• StillIRise
    Options
    It's actually video or face to face assessments that are relatively rare.  Although instances of video assessment are increasing.

• StillIRise
    Options
    Deppi said:
    I struggle to see the value of this topic.

Whether the 1 in 10 cases is rare, or whatever the statistics say or not say, how this changes anything to someone who applies for WCA or PIP or whatever. Hope? That they will get through easy?

And what if, we accept is not rare and someone doesnt get it? That someone should feel like they just has a bad luck against the odds? and what then? that someone should catastrophizing about whats next for them and their bad luck?

This post makes no sense, and can only make people more anxious to my opinion. Yes, some cases do get the paper based, indeed most of the time the ones that provide rich information and these who understand the descriptors well, but even so, that doesnt mean a loaded envelop will satisfy all the assessment criteria needed. Sending a phonebook size of form back does not mean you will not need an assessment.

Bottom line is, whatever we say here, or statistics we claim, one will get (or not) a paper based assessment regardless, for whatever reason, and totally not being the fault of the applicant in the sense they made a mistake.
    The point is that it’s well worth including as much relevant detail and evidence as possible, because the assessors always *consider* paper based in the first instance.
    if you dislike the post you are free to scroll on. I will not tolerate abuse from you. 
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Deppi I agree. 

I also see no abuse in your post, you are speaking your thoughts.
  • Ray212
    Ray212 Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
    Options
    Deppi said:
    I struggle to see the value of this topic.

Whether the 1 in 10 cases is rare, or whatever the statistics say or not say, how this changes anything to someone who applies for WCA or PIP or whatever. Hope? That they will get through easy?

And what if, we accept is not rare and someone doesnt get it? That someone should feel like they just has a bad luck against the odds? and what then? that someone should catastrophizing about whats next for them and their bad luck?

This post makes no sense, and can only make people more anxious to my opinion. Yes, some cases do get the paper based, indeed most of the time the ones that provide rich information and these who understand the descriptors well, but even so, that doesnt mean a loaded envelop will satisfy all the assessment criteria needed. Sending a phonebook size of form back does not mean you will not need an assessment.

Bottom line is, whatever we say here, or statistics we claim, one will get (or not) a paper based assessment regardless, for whatever reason, and totally not being the fault of the applicant in the sense they made a mistake.

Have to agree with you.
  • StillIRise
    Options
    Deppi said:
    The point is that it’s well worth including as much relevant detail and evidence as possible, because the assessors always *consider* paper based in the first instance.
    if you dislike the post you are free to scroll on. I will not tolerate abuse from you. 
    1. Never said not to include anything, I said including does not guarantee you know what the assessor needs.

2. This is a forum, you say something, people will reply. Saying if I do not agree with you I should move on is controlling behaviour and as such ABUSE.

I wont reply to you anymore, as I see no sense doing it. Your topic serves no purpose to my opinion and causes anxiety to people who wait for their WCA.

Thats my opinion, you dont like it, please dont scroll on, feel free to be democratic and reply to see the views of other people too.
    I’m happy to have a civil conversation and to have differing opinions aired. I’m not happy for some of the people in this thread to be piling in on me like school playground bullies just because they disagree with my opinion. Absolutely no place for such behaviour on a support forum for disabled people. This is not Grange Hill . 
  • poppy123456
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I will not tolerate abuse from you. 
    I don't see where Deppi has given any abuse to you. They just spoke their mind with honesty about assessments in general and i see nothing wrong with that.

If you feel unable to accept the information I have provided

I think you've misunderstood me because that's not what i said at all. I couldn't find the stats and did say i was happen to be proved wrong.

The scope team encourage links to be provided where possible.

• Ray212
    Ray212 Community member Posts: 369 Pioneering
    edited August 2023
    Options
  • Community_Scope
    Community_Scope Posts: 1,008 Scope online community team
    Options

Where possible we like all discussions to continue, but we’re choosing to pause this discussion for now so things can cool down and we can review it. For more information, please read our online community 

We will review it and if we are satisfied the discussion can continue, we will un-pause it.

This discussion has been closed.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.