Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Pip tribunal

Options
kay14
kay14 Community member Posts: 113 Courageous
So I’ve just had my pip tribunal and the judge said they will make a decision and send it in post felt like it went bad is this normal ? Anxiety through roof 😩

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Well done for getting through it @kay14 I hope you have treated yourself to a sweet treat. I always say you can never go wrong with cake! 

It is normal to have it sent through the post. Keeping everything crossed for you! 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • kay14
    Options
    I just felt like they didn’t believe me and really interrogated it was awful fingers crossed 🤞 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    I'm so sorry. I really hope it goes in your favour. Please keep us updated <3 

Hope you are enjoying this lovely weather! 
    Hannah - She / Her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • kay14
    Options
    Will do how long does it take through post ? X
  • Hannah_Alumni
    edited September 2023
    Options
    It can take about a week, although the weekend won't count as working days for them.
    Hannah - She / Her

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,031 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It doesn't mean anything other than they couldn't tell you on the day. Usually no longer than 3 or 4 days for the decision letter. If you were able to track the appeal online then sometimes once the decision is made you maybe able to see what that decision was. If it doesn't eventually show up then you'll need to wait for the decision letter.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kay14
    Options
    Thanks al keep checking X
  • kay14
    Options
    Appeal refused 😩 not changed still 2 points for washing a bathing they said my condition after surgery doesn’t matter but it was up to 5/4/23 but I had the operation on 23 rd March 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Oh @kay14 I'm so sorry. I was looking at Citizen's Advice webpage and they said:
    You’ll be sent a guide with an official notice that explains your options. Sometimes it’s possible to appeal to a higher level of tribunal, called the Upper Tribunal, if you think your tribunal made a mistake in law, but you can’t appeal just because you disagree with the result.

If you’re thinking about challenging the decision, get advice from your local Citizens

Advice in England and Wales or in Scotland to check if you have grounds to appeal again.

You can reapply for PIP and start the process again, but unless something has changed you’re unlikely to get a different decision.
    I'd encourage you to reach out to them for further support. 
    Hannah - She / Her

• poppy123456
    Options
    Im sorry to hear this. You can only appeal the decision on error of law. To find this you'll need to request the Statement of Reasons and Record of Proceedings from HMCTS within 1 month of the date of the decision. Once you receive them you'll need to find someone to take a look to see if they can find the error in law. If they can't then unfortunately, you won't be able to proceed any further.

If you request them then you'll need to see if there's either a law centre or Welfare Rights near to you. Citizens Advice do not deal with things as complex as this. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • kay14
    Options
    Thanks i am already in touch with ca she she’s they can sort upper tribunal am so fed up don’t know what else to do , all they asked was questions what I could do without the illness don’t make sense 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I'm very surprised the CA have said they will help because usually this is way beyond what they offer.
  • kay14
    Options
    Yeah she’s been really helpful and nice , the judge said they know my condition has got worse. They said they couldn’t accept evidence after April but I got worse in March with all the evidence there ,surly this is wrong so should be able to go to upper tribunal x
  • poppy123456
    Options
    When was your assessment? They won't take into consideration any worsening of condition since the assessment took place. They are looking to see if the decision was correct at the time it was made.

If you mentioned your condition had got worse then this can go against you.
  • kay14
    Options
    I can’t remember all I know is they kept asking me to remember back to April , April when I was at my worst as I had the operation in March after that every went down hill , should I reapply? X
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You should get some expert advice before reapplying to check for certain that it's possible to score enough of points needed for an award. 

I see from a previous thread that you've been refused before this. I'm not saying you're not entitled because i don't know anything about your conditions or how they affect you so it's impossible to advise with that.

If you reapply using the same evidence you previously used then another refusal could be possible.
  • kay14
    Options
    Hi me again . If I reapply for pip while I go to the upper tribunal will I still get back pay for the first claim , could you tell me the how the system works plz x
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You can't just appeal a Tribunal decision because you disagree. You need to find the error in law first. It can be a very lengthy process.

If you start a new claim then any decision on that will overrule any possible new decision made by the Tribunal.

If the Tribunal change the decision and award you PIP then you will receive money owed up until the day before you started your new claim.

Have you requested the SOR and ROP from HMCTS? You can't proceed any further without those.
  • kay14
    Options
    Thanks I know this am just waiting for CA to get back to me , I saw one of the rule breaking was that the dwp shouldn’t be in the room without me which they was as they had started without me then invited me to the call how do I know what they was saying , am just stuck again wondering what to do for the best I’ve had no income now since March only my partners wage x
  • poppy123456
    Options
    kay14 said:
    Thanks I know this am just waiting for CA to get back to me , I saw one of the rule breaking was that the dwp shouldn’t be in the room without me which they was as they had started without me then invited me to the call how do I know what they was saying , am just stuck again wondering what to do for the best I’ve had no income now since March only my partners wage x

I don't think that applies to telephone/video hearings. Each individual person has to be invited to the call first. It would be completely different if it was face to face hearing.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.