Help. Depressed teenager and council housing  — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help. Depressed teenager and council housing 

Aphrodite_Persephone Community member Posts: 10 Listener
My sister recently passed away and was found by my 17 year old nephew. Due to this he's moved into my home with myself and my 18 year old son in our 2 bedroom property.

My nephew is suffering from depression and PTSD, he sees a counselor weekly. Due to this my nephew has nightly nightmares, panic attacks, screaming and crying in his sleep. My son goes to comfort him (I'm disabled so it's difficult for me to walk). For this reason my son and nephew can't share a bedroom. I've added my nephew to my housing list application for my current council housing. My housing officer called and said we're not classed as over crowded or a priority because the boys are the same age. I read on the 1985 housing act and also did a bedroom entitlement calculator, both state that a person over 16yr old is require their own bedrooms.

What can I do as we really need a 3 bedroom property? Would the social workers assessment that states he needs his own room be sufficient? We moved to this property as my previous one was unsuitable but this was after a housing needs assessment by an OT, would an OT assessment be needed for this?



Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.