Help on disability discrimination — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help on disability discrimination

Options
Jasmine44
Jasmine44 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2023 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hello, new to here and also new to my diagnosis of Dyslexia, Dyspraxia and ADHD.  I found my employer to have lack of understanding of my challenges, the reasonable adjustments implemented were all ergonomic I.e software and and training for how to use it and the desk and chair. I argued that the reasonable adjustments need to be tailored to my weaknesses and my manager needs to have an in depth conversation with me with a plan to see what works. I wanted adjustments such as flexible working, adjustments on some tasks which put me at a huge disadvantage such as proposals, long reports, I really can’t do as it’s a huge struggle for me, employer is putting this down to performance without considering my challenges due to my disability. My employer stated flexible working is not a reasonable adjustment and doing all these take are part of my role so have to be done. The tasks can br allocated to other people and I am happy to take on something else to balance. I have raised a Grievance and contacted Acas for early reconciliation but Acas case handler seemed lacking confidence to go up against a huge company. I have been advised by my union rep to consider employment tribunal but Acas have put me off saying discrimination cases a very very difficult to prove. I wonder if anyone else has had similar experience or can advice please?

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,322 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hiya @Jasmine44 and a slightly late welcome to the community!

I just wanted to check in and see how you were getting on with this now?  Sometimes posts get missed by our regulars, so hopefully by me saying hi, more people will see this post again. :)
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • INDITics
    INDITics Scope Member Posts: 33 Connected
    Options
    HI, I am sorry you are going through this, where adjustments are concerned this can be hard as there is reasonable adjustments such as flexible learning depending the role but when it gets tricky is task wise, as someone who has signs of ADHD and are going through the assesment period now, I have tasks in my role i find dead ass boring, like i can't find the strength to do them, I have found ways to do them, I make a game out of everything now or i allocate "boring hour" I plug in some music or a podcast and do zed boring tasks so i know nothing is going to distract me in that hour.

don't stay where you don't feel appreciated, valued and cared for, companies replace people in a heartbeat and your health and mental health is so much important then a job that doesn't want to work with your strengths and aid your weaknesses. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.