Open university and maintenance loan — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Open university and maintenance loan

Options
sarzeusandeds
sarzeusandeds Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi,

I've applied to start studying at the open university from October, I have applied for student finance to tuition fees and it also gave me the option of a maintenance loan too, so I applied for both. Today I received an email saying I need to send further evidence for my maintenance loan which include a letter from my GP about why I can't study in a class room (I suffer really bad mental health and anxiety attacks) and also about any benefits I claim , I currently get pip but it's saying if I claim pip I must also claim either universal credit or ESA but I don't get either of these, I don't work and my partner is above the threshold for us to get any universal credit. I tried to speak to student finance on the phone to explain this but he just didn't understand what I was saying. Has anyone managed to get the maintenance loan with just a letter from their GP and their pip notice?

Thanks for reading if you got this far! It's really stressing me out . 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,688 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you need to be claiming ESA or UC then it sounds like you won't qualify for the ML
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• sarzeusandeds
    Options
    It's crazy because it says it will deduct any maintenance loan from your UC or ESA so it would be totally pointless claiming it as it doesn't sound like your any better off? 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,688 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    From memory (which might not be 100%correct) I think they only deduct it on so many weeks of the years will be worth checking with student finance again or even someone at the OU
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• sarzeusandeds
    Options
    I can't claim anything so I've nothing to be deducted which is why I'm trying to figure out if I can even claim it? I get pip but nothing else so don't know 
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This link may help you:
    https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/disabled-students-helpline

I can't see why they are asking for evidence of a UC/ESA award anyway, if you do claim one of these any Maintenance Loan you are entitled to (even if you don't choose to take) is deducted in full (minus a £110 disregard per month and split over the number of months you are studying for). PIP isn't means-tested so it doesn't matter on that front. I do know it is difficult to get an ML when using the OU. Good luck contacting them on the link above.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.