Tough finding a part time PA, any tips? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tough finding a part time PA, any tips?

Options
BlueMoonLido
BlueMoonLido Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi Everyone,
I hope you’re doing well?
I became disabled in 2017 and I’ve found it super hard finding good carers. I wondered if I could trouble anyone for any tips please? 
I’m currently looking for someone do 6 hours, twice a week (likely Tuesdays and Sundays). 
Tasks include cooking, clearing up after meals, tidying, picking stuff up that I drop that the grabbing stick won’t grab, packing for me when I’m going away, and providing lifts to appointments and company. The cooking part is really important to me, before my injury I worked at an amazing cookery school and I like quite healthy and varied recipes!
It seems so much harder than it should be.
We sometimes use Home Instead care agency but they’re an eyewatering £35 an hour now.
We have two family friends who fill in for £20 an hour but it’s a favour to us, they don’t need the work and want us to find someone else permanent. I pay them using a local payroll service and pay the tax too. This is my budget really.
We advertised on Facebook and interviewed and did DBS checks but both candidates fell through.
A local care agency visited and seemed *so nice* and are only £19.50 an hour but never answer the phone.
I tried advertising in The Lady (majorly expensive!) but it was right before I ended up in hospital unexpectedly for a stint, and when I came out the best sounding candidates already had work, and I didn’t gel with one I interviewed, and one said he wanted to work on a big country estate!
Any tips for where to advertise or who can help hugely appreciated! I’m Northamptonshire.
Thank you ❤️
Tagged:

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.