Reducing working hours when on UC — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Reducing working hours when on UC

Minnie18 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi everyone,
Just wanted to ask a quick question. If I need to reduce my working hours from 30 to 20 due to health issues, would I need to go down the WCA route or is it something my work coach could agree to?

I have just moved over to UC from WTC and also get standard PIP for daily living and mobility. I am 60 years old and have been working 30 hrs/week as a self employed tutor but am finding it is getting more difficult as time goes on and think maybe I need to reduce my hours a bit. However, I cannot face going through another assessment process after going through PIP as it was very stressful to say the least. 

Has anyone had experience with this? 
Thank you 


  • michael57
    michael57 Community member Posts: 122 Pioneering
    hi my she who must be obeyed the lovely dawnie has only been working 16hrs a week since my 2 strokes 18 months ago with no problems from uc at all 
  • AtlasShoulders
    AtlasShoulders Community member Posts: 34 Connected
    As long as you are working more than the Administrative Earning Threshold (AET) (currently 15 hours at National Minimum Wage) then you will be in the "Light Touch" category of UC which means you should be left alone. However, there are some changes in the pipeline which could mean that "Light Touch" claimants have to have more interactions with work coaches to try and increase hours/wages. But that seems to be a way off for now so nothing to worry about.
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,869 Disability Gamechanger
    You really should consider getting a fit note from your GP to start the Work Capability Assessment process if you aren't able to work full-time or at all due to your conditions. I know you have had a bad experience with the PIP assessment, but these are two separate benefits and the majority of people have no problems. If awarded LCWRA, it would come with an extra payment of £390.06 a month (reducing any TP if this is over that amount), and would mean you wouldn't have any commitments to work (although you can still do this) or have a Work Coach. It would also give you a work allowance too (an amount you can earn before your UC would be reduced).

    I thought it would be worth mentioning this and please remember, if you struggle with anything there's always help on here for you or organisations we can pass on to you.
  • Jimm_Scope
    Jimm_Scope Posts: 1,483 Scope online community team
    Hi @Minnie18, sorry to hear you aren't feeling well enough to continue working as much. I know how stressful the PIP process can be, it's understandable to not want to endure something like that again. The WCA assessment is slightly different though just to inform you.

    I would recommend using a Benefits Calculator to work out what you're going to be entitled to on your new work hours. It's possible you're entitled to quite a bit more than you expect, even if it does mean another assessment. You can then follow up by asking a benefits adviser for help on your situation at your local Citizen's Advice. 
    They/Them, however they are no wrong pronouns with me so whatever you feel most comfortable with
    Online Community Specialist

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us. 
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions are my own, such as mashed potato being bad.
  • Minnie18
    Minnie18 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Thank you all for your advice - definitely food for thought and very helpful.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.