Childrens cerebral palsy physio — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Childrens cerebral palsy physio

Lee3 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited September 2023 in Cerebral palsy
Hi! I'm new here, mum to a 4 y/o who has hemiplegia cerebral palsy which affects his lower leg, so he is on his toes on one side. We are under the care of a great children's centre and have an exercise and stretch plan for home, provided by NHS physio. I'd like to know if anyone has experience of having additonal private physio / physical therapy treatment and if this is recommended or beneficial. Thank you! 


  • Jimm_Scope
    Jimm_Scope Posts: 2,361 Scope online community team
    edited September 2023
    Hi @Lee3, welcome to our online community :) I hope you're doing well! I'm so glad to hear that you're getting amazing support. 

    I don't have the experience to your question, though Scope do have some advice pages on Cerebral Palsy and physiotherapy that I will link here. There's a link to finding physiotherapists at the bottom of the page. However, it seems you already know the benefits and are asking "is more better?".

    What I can also do is see if one of my colleagues has the answer to your question :)

    Edit: I've moved this to our Cerebral Palsy section, I hope that's okay!
    They/Them, however they are no wrong pronouns with me so whatever you feel most comfortable with
    Online Community Specialist

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us. 
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions are my own, such as mashed potato being bad.
  • Richard_Scope
    Richard_Scope Posts: 3,615 Scope online community team
    Hi @Lee3
    A warm welcome to the community. I don't if you have heard of the Bobath Centre in Watford. They offer therapy for children with all presentations of cerebral palsy. It is called the Bobath Approach 
    What I would say as a person living with cerebral palsy myself; is that it is important to try to strike a balance between physiotherapy and everyday life. Both for you as a family and your son.
    Specialist Information Officer and Cerebral Palsy Programme Lead

    'Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us about your experience in the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
  • Lee3
    Lee3 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you both v much. I hadn't heard of Bobath Centre, so will do some research today. Appreciate your help :)
  • forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 498 Pioneering
    Yes Bobath...and you can at least ask the NHS to pay.  They may only do so if they do not have the right expertise in your area NHS....  Like @Richard_Scope's a balance between life and physio and we chose not to let therapy take over, but my son (now 25 athetoid CP) went to Bobath almost annually from age 15 months as we had no suitable NHS physio here in a rural area and it has been very very helpful.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.