DHP (Discretionary Housing Payment). — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DHP (Discretionary Housing Payment).

Options
SAFC
SAFC Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi all.
I am hoping someone may be able to offer us some advice going forward with an issue we are facing concerning our application to our Council for a DHP. Firstly, my apologies for not [posting as much as I should. I have multiple health issues and I have many, many days when I am "off the grid" due to Psychotic Depression. I just lose the days and when I eventually pull around, I am exhausted and tend to sleep a great deal. I also have physical issues after 2 knee replacements, 1 hip replacement, upper disc replacements and Polymyalgia Rheumatica. I would genuinely like to contribute more, but at this time I am unable to. Anyway, we were advised by our housing provider to apply for DHP payments. This is because I suffer terrible nightmares and sleep disturbances, and my Wife and I have actually slept is separate rooms for well over 6 years now. We were initially refused as our incoming finance did not leave us with a shortfall for rent. However, we were sent a letter from the Council telling us that if could provide a letter from our GP proving we sleep in separate rooms, that should be enough for DHP. We duly got the letter and it also said we should stay in our current home (where we have been for 17 years), for mental health stability. The letter was brief but offered what was asked for. We then appealed and have just received another response from the Council telling us we are refused because of our financial situation. They have completely ignored their own guidance. I am also on Enhanced rates of PIP and I have an indefinite award. I promise you we are not attempting to scam the system. We both worked for over 40 years each and brought up our family as well. We are now at a loss as what to do. I have the letter from them clearly stating that we may be considered eligible if we can show we sleep separately or that if moving will cause issues to my mental health. I know the key word could be "may" but we have given them both eligibility components they asked for. I don't know what to do next. We have appealed again, but if they follow suit and refuse us, I am just lost going forward. Can anyone please advise? If so, please do not think me ignorant if I do not respond immediately. I genuinely do not know how I am going to feel one hour ahead. It is awful and I just lose days at a time before feeling better. I promise I will respond as soon as I am able. Thanking You - Hughie

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Hello @SAFC

I'm sorry to hear your health hasn't been well. I just wanted to check in that you have support around you? 

I looked on the GOV website and it says:
    Each council decides how their application process will work.
    Your council will look at your circumstances to see whether you are eligible for a DHP. They will decide
    I am wondering if your council has changed the way they decide? We have had threads on other issues such as Blue Badges, where councils have changed their policies. 

I would encourage you to reach out to Citizen's Advice or even your Local MP for more clarity. They also may be able to help support you with the reapplication / appeal.

Please keep us updated! and I hope the community can be a place of support for you :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • SAFC
    SAFC Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    Hi Hannah.
    Thank you for the kind response. I will definitely look into it further. I thought they all had to adhere to a central policy but it seems not. I do have wonderful support around me. My Wife is my full time carer and I can access the Community Mental Health Team whenever needed. I also have 2 wonderful Daughters who help me when things become somewhat challenging. I honestly couldn't ask for any more. 
    Thank you again Hannah. Genuinely appreciated.
    Regards:-Hughie  

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.