Esa, pip and pregnancy — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa, pip and pregnancy

jada86 Community member Posts: 8 Connected
Hi, I’ve recently found out i am pregnant. It’s been quite a shock. I am unsure of what that means for me financially. I am single and live alone with my son. I am disabled and receive support group Esa and higher rate pip daily living and mobility. I was wondering if anyone knows if I will be forced to move over to universal credit  now and if I need to inform pip and Esa? Will I be able to just claim child benefit and child tax credit like I do already for my son? 

Many thanks 



  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,883 Disability Gamechanger
    If you already claim Child Tax Credit and Child Benefit, you can add your newborn to these claims. You do not need to inform PIP or ESA either.

    Please be aware that you are going to be contacted by the end of 2024 and moved over anyway, which may be before you give birth. If this happens then any income-related ESA and Child Tax Credit will end and your UC award will include all relevant elements (including LCWRA as you are in the Support Group). Contributions-based ESA, Child Benefit and PIP will always remain separate.
  • jada86
    jada86 Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    Thank you very much for the information 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.