Silly things that make you sad — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Silly things that make you sad

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,930 Disability Gamechanger
I am getting a new car tomorrow as you probably know as I have repeatedly told the forum multiple times already.

Really excited but ... I am really sad about giving my old car back

When I got this car I said to myself this is just a long term hire car, it's not mine, it's just a lump of metal...but now it is time to give it back I am sad all the same

Does anyone else get sad about things like this?

Comments

• WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 764 Pioneering
    edited September 2023
    Options
    I can see why you're sad- it's been a part of your life for 3 years ... memories built etc
    Us petrol-heads get attached to cars, their little quirks ... smells and feels

My car now hates a certain drain cover on a corner - it throws the back out, no other car has done it, so when I change it ... it'll be weird.

Safe happy motoring ... don't come to Wales ... these new 20mph laws are soul destroying  :'(  Bad when joggers overtake you

I feel sad when I finish a book I've really gotten into,
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @WelshBlue

What doesn't help, is my last car died on me so I was forced to change it, this new one is still perfect - it's almost like I am saying I've found something better than you, like swapping an old loyal dog for a new puppy :D 

You are right about the memories etc, will always have them I guess, though, the new car has a hell of a lot to live up to!!!

I don't read the news but have heard about this 20mph limit in Wales. Is it just in built up areas or is it in places like open countryside as well?
  • WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 764 Pioneering
    Options
    66Mustang said:

I don't read the news but have heard about this 20mph limit in Wales. Is it just in built up areas or is it in places like open countryside as well?
    It's just built up areas ... but when some are 2 miles long ... 
    I had to drive 70 miles to a hospital appointment last week - after 40 miles I literally got to a stage of not knowing what gear to be in anymore  :*

400,000 have signed a petition so far against it- not that it will change anything.   Will be as big an uproar when the new law comes in that you can't buy crisps as part of a meal deal, or BOGOF can't be over a certain fat level.  Wales is becoming a Nanny State

As for cars - I've been driving for 39 years, and still remember every car I've had.  For their good points and their Basil Fawlty hitting it with a branch times.  My only regret is scrapping or giving away the ones from the 70's, 80's and early 90's ... worth a small fortune now

You'd enjoy my town today - over 200 high performance cars from all decades doing an annual round robin to raise money for the Air Ambulance ... I'm 300 yards from the main road and the sound as they go past is smexy.  

• 66Mustang
    Options
    @WelshBlue

I heard they are doing it for emissions reasons...but surely you need to drive in a lower gear at 20mph...

driving 2 miles @ 30mph in 3rd gear = 2000RPM for 4 mins = 100 "units" of emissions
    driving 2 miles @ 20mph in 2nd gear = 2000RPM for 6 mins = 150 units of emissions

I know it's not exactly like that but seems a bit silly to me

I would happily donate to that cause BTW, love cars and the air ambulance, never understood why the NHS has to pay for their own helicopter out of donations when the police gets one for free
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,768 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's odd but we all get emotional attachments to "things" .

I get very attached to my bank balance  :)

As for things that make me sad the list would be massive, but I have never been afraid to show my emotions.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• THE_DUDE
    THE_DUDE Community member Posts: 208 Pioneering
    Options
    When going for the theory test can you be in a room on your own to avoid big crowds or is that asking too much? @66Mustang
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,881 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    THE_DUDE said:
    When going for the theory test can you be in a room on your own to avoid big crowds or is that asking too much? @66Mustang

Yes this can be arranged. However, before booking the therory test you must tell them that extra support is needed and they will then contact you with a test date. Once you arrive at the test centre the extra support will then be put into place.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • THE_DUDE
    THE_DUDE Community member Posts: 208 Pioneering
    Options
    Thank you poppy
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,881 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Did you collect your new car @66Mustang? Would love you to share a pic if possible please. B)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @poppy123456 thanks for asking yes I have just got back with the car!!!!! Sorry no pics yet as I was too excited to take any ha ha but my Mum took loads of pictures so when she manages to share them to me I will post them up!!!

To say I am thrilled with the car is a massive understatement

It goes without saying but I would give the car up any day and drive a scrap heap if it meant I was able to do the things I want to do but it does go some way to giving "compensation" for being unwell

So happy :) 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,768 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @66Mustang really good to hear you are pleased with your new car.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,884 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @66Mustang, glad you got the new car and you like it, can't wait to see new pics

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.