Social housing — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Social housing

DaisyDaisy68 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi I have posted on another link. I’m waiting to be rehoused with social housing as a single 55yr woman. So I will only be entitled to a one bedroom home. I’m on full pip, disability, mobility.
I have older children who have their own homes and children, but my one son who is 30 suffers with depression terribly but still works full time. He gave his private rental up as the landlord is selling up, so my son been sleeping on my daughters sofa, as the company helps with his depression. But they have had a disagreement so he’s on my sofa at moment. The question I’ve got is, if I informed social housing that my son will have to move with me, how will it effect my benefits pip esa disability mobility, housing benefit, benefit, will I lose them? I have to weigh up the pros and cons of having him with me. I know he’s my son, but he’s got problems even though he got a very good job, with cocaine. I know if benefits take benefits off me, I won’t get it off my son as he’s a addict and over the weekend he blows his money on cocaine, and not responsible with his money.  And I know I would survive money wise. But I would feel terrible if I said no to him and he did something to himself I’d never forgive myself. That’s all he wants is to live with family. He was brought up in a house with with 5 kids there was always company around. Then 6 years ago I split with his stepfather who carried on behind my back. The kids all flew the nest, I sold my half of my house to my ex, who now lets our son we had together live there with his girlfriend and baby. I went into private rental properties. My mobility issues have changed, plus landlady is selling all her properties, social housing are now trying get a house for me. I need to know financially if I should stick to social housing looking for a 1 bedroom or if financially I won’t lose anything or much. To put his name on my application.


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,857 Disability Gamechanger
    If he's currently living with you and your ESA includes the Severe disability Premium (SDP) then you will lose this (£76.40/week) unless he claims a qualifying disability benefit himself, such as either PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or ADP daily living.

    It may also affect the type of property that you're offered so do be aware of that. If he will be living with you when you move you do need to tell social housing this sooner, rather than later.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Posts: 520 Connected

    Hi Daisy,

    Be aware that DWP monitors forums and you've mentioned a lot of private stuff here. 
    You need to keep your claims open and avoid material changes that would mean having to claim UC. You're on a waiting list for one bedroom plus the local authority is not responsible for your adult son. 

  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 10,495 Disability Gamechanger
    I have yet to see evidence that the DWP monitor this forum or for that matter others, they may monitor social media accounts if they have good reason to but trust me they don't have the time to read what we say on here.
    Seasons greetings to one and all 🎄🎅🏻🌲
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,857 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 25
    With regards to the UC comment, once you move house if you remain within the same local Authority then you can keep claiming housing benefit. 

    If you move to a different local Authority then you will need to claim UC for help with any rent. This will then end any Income Related ESA you're claiming after 2 weeks. Any contributions based ESA will continue as normal but be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. 

    The only exception to this would be if you live in either supported or temporary housing and then housing benefit can continue.

    If your son continues to live with you there will be no non dependant deductions for rent because you're claiming daily living PIP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Hannah_Scope
    Hannah_Scope Posts: 5,985 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @DaisyDaisy68

    Welcome to the community! I see our members have helped with the benefit side of your query. I wanted to reach out as I was concerned to read your son isn't doing well. Can I ask, has he got support for the depression? I would encourage you to reach out to your GP about it.

    They can also support with the substance misuse. They should be able to point you in the direction of some local support, and talk you through treatment options.

    If you are unable to speak with the GP. I have heard brilliant things about an organisation called Turning Point. They also have resources and advice pages. I hope they help <3 
    Hannah - She / Her

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Posts: 520 Connected


    You know council housing was sold off and not replaced so there is simply not enough stock for everyone entitled to be housed. 

    If the local authority initially offers temporary accommodation in a hostel or hotel, you must cooperate and be seen to use that facility if you want your application for secure social housing to progress (re your other thread) 

    A claim for UC would definitely create financial chaos for you. Unless you have other options for re-housing, this might be your only hope of suitable accommodation for your later years. You will be allowed to exchange, possibly to something larger but right now, this is about your needs and disabilities, nothing else!   

  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 9,789 Scope online community team

    Note from online community team:

    Where possible we like all discussions to continue, but we’re choosing to pause this discussion for now so comments can be reviewed. For more information, please read our online community house rules.

    We will review it and if we are satisfied the discussion can continue, we will hope to un-pause it by tomorrow.

    Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.