If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I am a PhD student

Options
LorriePhD
LorriePhD Community member Posts: 12 Listener
edited September 2023 in Research and opportunities
Hello,

I hope it is ok to post this on here, if not then I will delete it of course. I am a PhD student at the University of Suffolk examining the impact of Universal Credit on people with disabilities. I am in the active research stage at the moment (my 2nd year) but I have only managed to find two of the 15 participants I need so far. I've attached a poster I made with details of the study but the basic criteria is people who have made a claim for a current disability benefit (such as PIP), been denied by the DWP and then successfully appealed. I have had to limit my study to physical disability as the main condition claimed for, although I am interested in the impact on mental health as well. The interview consists of around 15 questions and can be done via Teams, WhatsApp or even voice call. If you are interested I can send further information, including ethical approval from my university, but there is no obligation to carry on with it. I want to disclose that I am a nondisabled researcher but I am aware of the importance of participant directed research and would love to hear about your lived experience of navigating the UC system. 

Comments

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,546 Scope online community team
    Options

The above post has been moderated and checked by the Scope Community Team

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only. We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them. 

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules

Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • lynbeck86
    lynbeck86 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 1,000 Pioneering
    Options

Hi Lorrie,

Brilliant! Thank you! Well done!

I know your lovely uni, think I fit the criteria but don't use a stick or wheelchair. 
    Is it any physical disability or immobility specifically you are looking at? 

• WhatThe
    Options

Hi Lorrie,

I know your lovely uni, think I fit the criteria but don't use a stick or wheelchair. 

• LorriePhD
    Options
    lynbeck86 said:
    Interested 
    Hello, thank you for your comment. Could you private message me please so I can send you some more information? I don't have enough points to send one to you I think. 
  • LorriePhD
    Options
    WhatThe said:

Hi Lorrie,

Hi, thank you for your comment. Yes it is any physical disability, no specific one. I was just advised to set a boundary between type of disability to make my analysis a bit easier. If you'd like some more information could you send me a private message please? I don't think I'm able to do this yet as I'm new to the site. 
  • WhatThe
    Options

Thanks,

I'm under special measures on this website so I'll email, cheers

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.