Changing from child tax credit to universal credit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Changing from child tax credit to universal credit

andrewkuk Scope Member Posts: 66 Courageous
Hi - We received a letter today from DWP to saying that we will shortly receive a Universal Credit Migration Notice letter. We receive child tax credit.

Has anyone gone through the migration to Universal Credit yet? 

Is the process easy to follow?

I also receive ESA. Will this also change?

I believe PIP is still a separate benefit.

Sorry for all the questions but I get very anxious when things change.

kind regards 



  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,590 Disability Gamechanger
    When you receive the migration letter you will have 3 months to apply. If you don’t apply within that time then your existing benefits will stop. 

    If you’re in the Support Group for ESA then you’ll be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of your claim. 

    Any contributions based ESA you maybe receiving will continue as normal but be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. 

    If any part of the ESA is income Related this will stop 2 weeks after you claim UC. 

    PIP isn’t part of UC and will continue as normal. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.