If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Looking for participants with experience of DWP, PIP, ESA, UC.

Options
LorriePhD
LorriePhD Community member Posts: 12 Listener
edited September 2023 in Research and opportunities
Hello,

I posted already but I don't think my title said enough about my research. I'm a PhD student at the University of Suffolk examining the impact of Universal Credit on people with disabilities. I'm in the active research stage (my 2nd year) but I have only managed to find two of the 15 participants I need so far. I've attached a poster I made with details of the study but the basic criteria is people who have made a claim for a current disability benefit (such as PIP), been denied by the DWP and then successfully appealed. I have had to limit my study to physical disability as the main condition claimed for, although I am interested in the impact on mental health as well. The interview consists of around 15 questions and can be done via Teams, WhatsApp or even just a voice call if you don't want to do a video call. If you are interested I can send further information, including ethical approval from my university, but there is no obligation to carry on with it. I want to disclose that I am a nondisabled researcher but I am aware of the importance of participant directed research. If you meet the criteria and want to have your experience of accessing the DWP heard then please do get in touch. I really want to hear from people who have been wrongly denied benefits because of the policies of this government. If you can email the address shown on my poster, or private message me on here that would be brilliant. If you know anyone who may be interested but who isn't necessarily online or likely to see this then please feel free to pass the details on to them, so I can access a wider range of people and have their voices heard too. Thanks in advance for any assistance from anyone. 

Tagged:

Comments

• LorriePhD
    Options
    Hello,

I'm a PhD student at the University of Suffolk examining the impact of Universal Credit on people with disabilities. I'm in the active research stage (my 2nd year) but I'm finding it difficult to get the participants I need. My research involves one short interview with people who meet the following criteria: have made a claim for a current disability benefit (such as PIP), been denied by the DWP, and then successfully appealed. I have had to limit my study to physical disability as the main condition claimed for, although I am interested in the impact on mental health as well. The interview is just 15 questions and can be done via Teams, WhatsApp video call or even just a voice call if you'd prefer. If you are interested I can send further information, including ethical approval from my university, but there is no obligation. I want to disclose that I am a nondisabled researcher but I am aware of the importance of participant directed research. If you meet the criteria and want to have your experience of accessing the DWP heard then please do get in touch. I really want to hear from people who have been wrongly denied benefits because of the policies of this government. If you can email me via my university on l.gallier@uos.ac.uk, WhatsApp me on 07424309984 or private message me on here that would be brilliant. If you know anyone who may be interested but who isn't necessarily online or likely to see this then please feel free to pass the details on to them, so I can access a wider range of people and have their voices heard too. Thanks in advance for any assistance from anyone, it's very much appreciated. 

• ElmaG
    ElmaG Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Hi Lorrie, I live in Suffolk too and have experience with PIP and UC as an ME patient. Mental support is non-existent on the NHS here. I'll also share your above flyer in my socials to help you gather more interviewees.
  • LorriePhD
    Options
    ElmaG said:
    Hi Lorrie, I live in Suffolk too and have experience with PIP and UC as an ME patient. Mental support is non-existent on the NHS here. I'll also share your above flyer in my socials to help you gather more interviewees.
    Hi Elma,

thank you for your response and for helping share my research. Would you be interested in taking part in an interview yourself? If you are could you private message me or email me on l.gallier@uos.ac.uk so I can send you some further information? Thanks so much. 
  • ElmaG
    ElmaG Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    I'll get in touch x
  • malice88
    malice88 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    Options
    Hey @LorriePhD just a bit of friendly feedback (I can't participate unfortunately as I was successful at PIP and not eligible for UC), but it helps people with learning differences, developmental disorders and disabilities to add regular spaces between paragraphs.

Walls of text can be hard to digest, and many will just skim past important details.

Whenever I write articles I add tons of spaces and simplify sentence structure to boost engagement.

Good luck with your research!
  • PalomaPyjama82
    PalomaPyjama82 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    I think I can help if some of my disabilities are considered physical (ME/CFS probably would be). I was denied then awarded standard rate daily living at appeal but in all honesty the appeal panel were pretty awful people and lied about what I said so I feel I should have got the higher rate for both. I'm now in the process of applying to get their decision overturned but I do at least get some of the money since they awarded me something. I'll email you.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

The above post has been moderated and checked by the Scope Community Team

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only. We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them. 

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules

Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • LorriePhD
    Options
    Hi there, is anyone else interested in taking part in my research? I would really appreciate anyone who would be happy to share their experience on being denied PIP (and successfully appealing) as I still need another 8 or so participants. 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.