ESA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA

Options
lulufred
lulufred Community member Posts: 19 Listener
I’ve just been told I’ve been put in the support group of esa I also claim carers allowance for my child will it affect the severe disability element? Tia

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,573 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    SDP and carers premium will both continue as normal. I’m assuming you were in the WRAG previously? 

This means your ESA will now increase and will include the Support Group component.

How much it will increase to will depend on whether your ESA included extra for the WRAG. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lulufred
    Options
    Thankyou yes I wasn’t in support group before I asked for a review about 13 weeks ago and I got a call today to say they put me in support group 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Then the extra money will be paid from the date you rang to report the changes. How much is owed will depend on whether your ESA claim started before or after April 2017.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • lulufred
    Options
    ok thankyou my claim started well before 2017 I think I should of been in suport group all along but they said b4 covid I’m not in support group because I walk my child to school which is only round the corner 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    When you mentioned the severe disability element above, i thought you were talking about the Severe disability Premium. Having read your comment again were you talking about the Severe disability element of child Tax credits?

Are you currently claiming a disability benefit yourself? of so what award do you have please?
  • lulufred
    Options
    Hello my child is on middle rate dla and I get the extra on child tax credit and I have pip low rate care and high mobility 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    There's no low rate care PIP, it's standard or Enhanced. Your disabled child element will not be affected. If your ESA includes the SDP because you're treated as living alone and no one claims either carers allowance or carers element of UC for looking after you then this will also continue.

If your ESA claim is just for yourself then you will now be entitled to the Enhanced disability premium (single person)£19.55/week. As well as the difference between WRAG and Support Group component, which is £11/week.
  • lulufred
    Options
    Sorry yes it’s standard care rate and yes I live alone I don’t get universal credit jusf the esa thankyou for your help so how much would I get extra it’s confusing 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes i know you're not claiming UC because you're claiming Tax credits. It's an extra £30.55/week. 

As you're not living with any other adults does your ESA include the Severe disability Premium? It should do unless someone is claiming either carers allowance or carers element of UC for looking after you.

Please also note that anytime from now up until 2024 you'll be invited to claim Universal Credit as part of managed migration because they are dealing with those that are claiming Tax credits first.
  • lulufred
    Options
    Ok thankyou I’m not sure if it’s included no one claims carers for me I get £254 every fortnight esa and carers on a Monday of £74 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I can't work out what's included with that £254 because everything i do doesn't match to any of my figures. Do you have any deductions with your ESA for anything at all?
  • lulufred
    Options
    They have deducted some off  because I have carers allowance 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes, i included that. Ok i think i have the calculation correct now. I was working out the rates for your claim starting before April 2017 but according to the amount you're receiving your claim started after the rule changes in April 2017 because you weren't receiving any extra money for being in the WRAG.

Your current breakdown for the WRAG is as follows...
    Personal allowance 25 and over.. £84.80
    Carers premium £42.75
    SDP £76.40 Total amount before deductions = £203.95/week - £76.75 carers allowance = £127.20/week (£254.40/fortnight) which confirms your ESA includes the SDP.

The breakdown for Support Group is as follows...
    Personal allowance £84.80
    Support Group component £44.70
    Enhanced disability premium (known as disability Income guarantee) £19.55
    Carers premium £42.75
    SDP £76.40
    Total before deductions £268.20/week - £76.75 carers allowance = New amount £191.45/week (£382.90/fortnight)

You should be owed the extra money from the date you rang to report the changes. Hope this helps.

• lulufred
    Options
    Ok thankyou I Defiantly have had esa for a lot of years before 2017 do you think dwp have got my amounts wrong for what I’ve been getting up untill now ?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It's possible yes. However, i can only advise based on the information you give. All the figures i did that included the WRAG component weren't matching your fortnightly amount of £254. It only matched when i removed that component.

Maybe you have some other deductions that you've forgotten about. If you have a recent breakdown of your ESA award for the WRAG then it will tell you everything that's included in there.
  • lulufred
    Options
    Lovely thankyou il look into it as I’m not sure now if they calculated it wrong for all this time thenkyou for you help 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @lulufred

Just wanted to welcome you to the community! :) I see Poppy has been a great help to you. I hope the community can continue to be a place of support and friendship <3 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • lulufred
    Options
  • lulufred
    Options
    Evening I’m still a bit confused about the calculatons ware it says the carers allowance and deductions is the carers paid separately like it is already if so what would the esa amount be as I’m not sure if the Carers is deducted off the amount ?thankyou 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    lulufred said:
    Evening I’m still a bit confused about the calculatons ware it says the carers allowance and deductions is the carers paid separately like it is already if so what would the esa amount be as I’m not sure if the Carers is deducted off the amount ?thankyou 
    My calculations say that carers allowance is deducted. Care premium is then added. Carers allowance then pay you separately. 

What I can’t see is the extra money for the WRAG because the amount of ESA you’ve been receiving in my opinion doesn’t include this. 

As I advised yesterday it would be helpful if you can find your last ESA letter with all the calculations included. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.