LCWA Backpay confusion — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LCWA Backpay confusion

Options
DP06
DP06 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited September 2023 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi everyone am new here and have searched but can find the answer. 

I have been awarded LCWA and my statement shows the additional £390 however I have couple of questions. 

1. Will I get backpay and when ?  I know there has to be the 3 month waiting period which would put me at May 23.  Does ot take them a while to work it out ? 

2. While I was going through the process I was doing some part time easy work from home ( it made my illness worse but I had to do it to be able to pay my bills as my UC did not cover it all) 
for the few months I did this UC reduced my benefits by 55p for every £1
I earned .  

However now they have agreed I am LCWA and as such can earn £379 before that reduction starts can I claim this backdated too ? 

EG : If I earned £500 they reduced my benefits by 500 x55p however on LCWA I would have got the first £379 and only the reduction for the remaining earnings of £120. 

Any advice appreciated -
thank you 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,724 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There's a full 3 month assessment period waiting time and the extra money is paid from the 4th month, with first payment due at the end of that 4th month. It's not paid at all during the waiting period. Assuming you continued to send fit notes the whole time without any gaps until a decision was made on your claim.

When it's paid from exactly will depend on what date you reported your health condition/sent your first fit note and what date you usually receive your money each month.

Yes, you now have the work allowance. This will apply from the assessment period in which you reported your health condition/sent your first fit note.

It often takes quite a few weeks to pay what is owed and it will be paid separately to your usual monthly money.

Before they can pay you they need to recalculate your past statements to work out how much you've already received against what you should have received. They will then pay you the difference between the 2. Once this is done you'll receive a letter on your journal telling you how much they owe and it will then be paid into your bank. Please be aware that the new statements will replace your existing ones so you may want to take copies of them now.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • DP06
    Options
    Thank you so much for your reply it really helpful. 
    My first fit / sick note was provided in early Feb 23 and they have been provided since then with no breaks . 

So I was assuming my 3 months would approx May time .  They then cancelled my interview assessment twice resulting in the award finally being made those month . I am paid 1st Oct and they new amount is there however now you have explained it takes a while for be worked out I understand the backpay will come later . 

Thank you 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Early Feb doesn’t help me to advise you when it’s paid from. I need to know the exact date you sent the fit note. 

Based on limited information then your first payment will be either June or July. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • DP06
    Options
    Hi it was 14the Feb 2023  and my usual UC payment date is 1st of the month . 

Thanks 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Thanks. This means your waiting period is Feb to May.. LCWRA starts from assessment period 24th May to 23rd June and first LCWRA payment will be 1st July.

The work allowance will start from AP Jan/Feb. It very often takes quite a few weeks to pay what is owed. They first need to recalculate your past statements to work out what you've already been paid against what you should have been paid. You will then receive the difference between the 2. Once this is done you'll receive a letter on your journal telling you how much is owed and it will be paid into your bank.

Please be aware that when the statements are recalculated they will replace your existing ones so you may want to take copies of them now.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,439 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hey there @DP06 nice to meet you!  Welcome to the lovely community.

I can see Poppy is helping you out here, but I just wanted to give you a big warm welcome.  Hopefully Poppy has answered all of your questions, but if you have any more, or just fancy getting to know some folks in the coffee lounge section, don't be afraid to just post away. :)
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.