UC migration coming soon 🤦 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC migration coming soon 🤦

carcari Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
Iv recently received the leaflet from tax credits, so I know it's happening soon. My question is, what happens now? Will myself and my husband still get carers allowance, child benefit( he's 17 and in full time education also gets pip) I also get pip enhanced on both rates, I'm really stressimg over this as iv heard so many horror stories about the transfer


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,780 Disability Gamechanger
    It could be anytime from now up until end of 2024. When you do receive the letter you will have 3 months to claim UC, if you don't claim within this time your benefits will end.

    The carers allowance will continue as normal but it will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. Your UC will then include the carers element but you'll need to both report being a carer. Child benefit continues.

    For the UC then you will both need to start a claim individually. One of you will then receive a linking code to join both claims together. As carers neither of you will have any work requirements. Therefore it should be a straight forward process.

    There will be Transitional Protection (TP) in place to make sure you're not any worse off when you claim. Of course if the figures mean you're better off on UC then there will be no TP needed.

    When you claim there is an option for you to report your health condition to start the work capability assessment process of (assuming your health condition limits your capability to work) but you'll need to send it fit notes and continue to send them without any gaps until a decision is made on the work capability assessment.

    However, if found to have LCWRA then your carers element will end. This is because the same person can't receive both elements at the same time. This means that you'll only be better off by the difference between carers element and LCWRA element (£204.20). 

    However, if your UC includes any TP then this erodes over time so if other elements increase or you become entitled to other elements then the TP decreases, until such a time it erodes completely. For this reason you maybe no better off by going through the WCA process but it will depend on whether your UC includes any TP.

    Hope this helps but if you're still confused then you can also get some expert advice from an agency near you. There's also a help to claim support phone line through Citizens advice. Details here. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/contact-us/contact-us/help-to-claim/

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • carcari
    carcari Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    Thanks for that information it's kind of helped, but all very confusing 😕, I suffer and have suffered for the last 10years with social anxiety and severe depression so this is just making me feel a bit overwhelmed 
  • Hannah_Scope
    Hannah_Scope Posts: 5,954 Disability Gamechanger
    @carcari I'm sorry it made you feel overwhelmed. I just wanted to check in, do you have support for your anxiety and depression? 
    Hannah - She / Her

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.