Electricity goes up tomorrow - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Electricity goes up tomorrow

Options

Comments

• Bettahm
    Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,443 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    bg844 said:
    I'm with E-On Next and a few weeks ago they offered select existing customers (like myself) a deal which means my energy will always cap at £50 below the price cap on both Gas and Electric, no fixed contract either. Even though the market is no longer competitive as it was even just a few years ago, it is definitely worth seeing if you can get similar from your own supplier. Every little helps I guess.
    I've emailed my supplier now 3 maybe 4 or 5 times over September explaining my situation and asking for help or advise.
    Nothing. No replies.
    So from today I'm paying 30 a month more.
    Still hoping they might eventually respond to me if I keep at them.
    Annoying thing is they are rewarding customers with solar panels, electric cars, and those that live near wind farms with cheaper electricity.
    Apparently ignoring people on low incomes and/or benefits.
  • Bettahm
    Options
    Old housing is such an issue in the UK, and the new builds are being built in a way that they're only "serviceable" for so many decades. Even affects public buildings, see the recent RAAC school crisis.

I understand the want to switch to heat pumps due to cheaper long-term + environmental benefits, but most housing just isn't built for them. Much like @Bettahm's housing wasn't built for modern heating methods.

There has to be a compromise between keeping historically relevant buildings and having homes that stay warm without losing an arm and a leg.
    I suspect I may be the last occupant of this old house. Built in 1895 it has suffered much over the years including flooding from the sea, being struck by lightning and catching fire, and is buried 3 feet under the road that runs alongside it. It's not listed or anything, just a two up two down with flat roof extension so suspect when I pass away itll get demolished and they'll throw a couple of new builds up in its place.
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Options
    bg844 said:
    I'm with E-On Next and a few weeks ago they offered select existing customers (like myself) a deal which means my energy will always cap at £50 below the price cap on both Gas and Electric, no fixed contract either. Even though the market is no longer competitive as it was even just a few years ago, it is definitely worth seeing if you can get similar from your own supplier. Every little helps I guess.
    The cap represents the hypothetical cost of fuel for Mr Average. It has no real bearing on the actual costs that people will pay.
    I too have dual fuel with E-On and have noticed the offer you are looking at. The monthly DD will go down by £8 to £181 per month.
    Strangely I had a look on their website to look at forcing them to repay the excessive balance on the account. They would give me back £280 plus reduce my DD down to £181 as well!
    If I do nothing I stay paying them the £189 a month. It just doesn't make any sense to me. Previously they told me that from today I would be better off over the year by £150 but would not be reducing my DD!!

• Luchia
    Luchia Community member Posts: 300 Pioneering
    Options
    I’m with Octopus Energy(Variable Tariff) for my Gas & Electric, Prices dropped today by 7%, Octopus suggested I drop my DD to £90 a month but decided to keep it at £150 to be safe for extra heating as needed over the colder months(currently have £600 credit) 
  • Bettahm
    Options
    Luchia said:
    I’m with Octopus Energy(Variable Tariff) for my Gas & Electric, Prices dropped today by 7%, Octopus suggested I drop my DD to £90 a month but decided to keep it at £150 to be safe for extra heating as needed over the colder months(currently have £600 credit) 
    I'm with them! Electricity only. So unsure what is going on. Think I use very little elec really. Live alone, no TV, computer, radio, etc. Only extras to normal would be 3 fish tanks and the pond.
    Yet it's gone up 30 a month and they are not responding to my emails.
  • ClaraSais
    ClaraSais Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
    Options
    My electric was £350 pm then it was £275 now it’s £295. Honestly I can’t keep up! 
  • Bettahm
    Options
    ClaraSais said:
    My electric was £350 pm then it was £275 now it’s £295. Honestly I can’t keep up! 
    And still waiting on my supplier to reply to my emails.
    Not good enough!
    Shame on you, Octopus 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,916 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Bettahm said:
    ClaraSais said:
    Not good enough!
    Shame on you, Octopus 

I'm also with Octopus and have always found them to be nothing but very helpful. If you're unable to pay the extra increase for your DD then you can reduce it yourself because you're fully incharge of what you pay.

Last winter i was in credit by quite a few hundred pounds and they wanted to increase my DD. I dropped in back down to what i've always paid and it wasn't an issue. My DD is £123/month for gas and electric combined.

They also sent me an electric throw last year free of charge. I don't know if they will be doing the same this year but if they do you can apply for one of the those.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Bettahm
    Options
    Bettahm said:
    ClaraSais said:
    Not good enough!
    Shame on you, Octopus 

I'm also with Octopus and have always found them to be nothing but very helpful. If you're unable to pay the extra increase for your DD then you can reduce it yourself because you're fully incharge of what you pay.

Last winter i was in credit by quite a few hundred pounds and they wanted to increase my DD. I dropped in back down to what i've always paid and it wasn't an issue. My DD is £123/month for gas and electric combined.

They also sent me an electric throw last year free of charge. I don't know if they will be doing the same this year but if they do you can apply for one of the those.
    Ok I will need to look into getting it reduced as long as that wont put me in debt. Up 30 a month is a lot extra to find. Waiting to hear as just emailed them again about an hour ago.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You can reduce the amount yourself. Log into your online account and click "payments." Then click "your payments" and edit the amount. Make sure you also click "update payment amount." Please also note that the DD won't change if payment is due within the next 10 days but it will change from the following DD.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Bettahm
    Options
    You can reduce the amount yourself. Log into your online account and click "payments." Then click "your payments" and edit the amount. Make sure you also click "update payment amount." Please also note that the DD won't change if payment is due within the next 10 days but it will change from the following DD.
    Ok I'll do that.
    My first payment is due next Monday so that will stay at the 30 up amount then.
    Thanks for this!
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,665 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm not with Octopus but have heard mostly good things about them so am a bit surprised to hear this.

My own electric rates have dropped slightly.  I'm still sticking with the same DD though as it's a visually satisfying £100 a month currently.  (All electric here, no gas or oil, small flat).
  • Bettahm
    Options
    I'm not with Octopus but have heard mostly good things about them so am a bit surprised to hear this.

My own electric rates have dropped slightly.  I'm still sticking with the same DD though as it's a visually satisfying £100 a month currently.  (All electric here, no gas or oil, small flat).
    I'm surprised too as again hear mostly good things! But sent a few emails during September and they've not responded to one.
    Trying as Poppy123456 said to change the dd amount in my account but cant access it currently so can only think website overloaded with people trying to get into their accounts!
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Bettahm said:

I'm surprised too as again hear mostly good things! But sent a few emails during September and they've not responded to one.
    Trying as Poppy123456 said to change the dd amount in my account but cant access it currently so can only think website overloaded with people trying to get into their accounts!

I can access mine without any issues. Keep trying because it could just be a simple error.
  • Bettahm
    Options
    Ok I've accessed my account.
    Up till now I was paying 50.72 a month. They upped it 30 to 80.27 a month. On my account where you can change the dd amount it says I should be paying 96.25 a month! Almost double what I was paying. So I'm leaving it alone .

• poppy123456
    Options
    Bettahm said:
    Up till now I was paying 50.72 a month. They upped it 30 to 80.27 a month. On my account where you can change the dd amount it says I should be paying 96.25 a month! Almost double what I was paying. So I'm leaving it alone .

You can still change it to an amount that you can more comfortably afford. Though doing this you should keep on eye on it, especially as the darker eveings are here.
  • Bettahm
    Options
    Bettahm said:

You can still change it to an amount that you can more comfortably afford. Though doing this you should keep on eye on it, especially as the darker eveings are here.

Bettahm said:

I can access mine without any issues. Keep trying because it could just be a 
  • Bettahm
    Options
    Yes winters here and it's the boiler that will make the difference because probably by the end of this month it will be on 24/7
    Lights are always on because this is a dark old cottage.
    So think I will leave for now and watch it. Can always reduce later, even next spring.
    Not happy with them over it, especially as no response to emails.

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Bettahm If you are in England or Wales, I would encourage you to reach out to Scope's Disability Energy Support for additional support and advice :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Bettahm
    Options
    @Bettahm If you are in England or Wales, I would encourage you to reach out to Scope's Disability Energy Support for additional support and advice :) 
    Thanks for this!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.