Raising money for charity — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Raising money for charity

66Mustang Community member Posts: 12,026 Disability Gamechanger
A bit of a niche question perhaps but there is a reason for asking.

If someone on Universal Credit wanted to raise money for charity - not a big formal event but an informal "ask family & friends to donate" sort of thing - with the idea of giving all the raised money to a (recognised listed, if this makes a difference) charity.

If they took enough donations that their money went over the £6,000 mark would this matter? Would donating it be treated as deprivation of capital?

Thanks in advance.


  • Jimm_Scope
    Jimm_Scope Posts: 1,545 Scope online community team
    edited September 30
    I am no expert so I'm not sure how this would really come across with the DWP. I imagine any accounts in your name would count towards capital threshold. Also, would giving the money away to charity fall under deliberate deprivation of capital? Meaning they might still treat you as having it?

    If it was me I'd probably avoid the issue entirely and find a way to have the money go straight to a selected charity.

    I found this Income from voluntary or charity sources - Entitledto which stated "payments made for benevolent purposes are not counted" but if you raise enough to pass several thousand I wonder what sort of proof you'd have to give to the DWP to show it's not money you intend tp use at all.
    They/Them, however they are no wrong pronouns with me so whatever you feel most comfortable with
    Online Community Specialist

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us. 
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions are my own, such as mashed potato being bad.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.