Hi, looking for advice on Joint Claims for UC. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, looking for advice on Joint Claims for UC.

Csikcharose Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 1 in Universal Credit (UC)
I am on new style ESA (as I have limited capability for work) and I am on the daily living component of PIP.
I am currently not in safe housing - and neither is my boyfriend. 
He is looking to join UC as he is out of work, and to apply for housing benefits so he can find somewhere to live. 
I am also looking for somewhere to live but I am worried if we make a joint claim and move in together - will my pip or ESA be affected?
I am just thinking we might be more likely at finding a place on a joint claim, then separate claims?
Or if itd be worth him joining on his own claim, then claiming housing benefit. 
However, I haven't got the money for a deposit on a place neither does he. So I'm not sure how we are even going to find a place to rent anyway.
We are both desperate for some stability, housing, and as he is on no income right now, I am having to lend out of my benefits.
He is only ever going to work low income jobs, but if he works over 24 hours (which you have too to even live!) then my benefits will be stopped?? Please help I have no idea what to do. 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,593 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 30
    If you are not currently living together and he's not working does he claim any benefits at all? If so which ones exactly? If he's not claiming any benefits, is there any reason why?

    If you or he find somewhere to live then you will only be able to claim housing benefit if you're living in either supported or temporary housing. If not then any help with the rent will be through UC known as housing element.

    If you can amswer that above question then i can help you further.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jimm_Scope
    Jimm_Scope Posts: 1,483 Scope online community team
    edited October 1
    Hi @Csikcharose, welcome to our community :) I hope you're doing well, I can see you're quite worried about all this.

    Let me get the easiest thing out the way first, your PIP will not be affected. It is not means-tested.

    Poppy has asked for more information to better answer your other queries about ESA and UC, hopefully we can answer them with a bit more information.

    Finally, are you getting help with finding a home? Are you private renting or in council housing?

    Edit: Just moved this into our UC category :)
    They/Them, however they are no wrong pronouns with me so whatever you feel most comfortable with
    Online Community Specialist

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us. 
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions are my own, such as mashed potato being bad.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.