If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip

Options
karen57
karen57 Community member Posts: 29 Connected
Hi I have rang the dwp and they say that I was paid £525 back pay from the 30th June to to the 30th August then normal payments commenced on the 20th of September. I asked if it would be backdated to the 16th May when I rang them and reported a change in my health and they said no. Is this correct ? 
Thanks 
Karen

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,100 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It should be from the date you rang to report the changes, providing you had the worsening of condition for at least 3 months at that time.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • karen57
    Options
    it started in early march of this year
  • poppy123456
    Options
    That means 3 months from March would be June. Although you say "early" March it started the decision maker has decided it's from 30th June.

I realised you asked this question on another thread, i apologise that i didn't include the 3 month timeframe for worsening of condition in the advice i gave. I completely overlooked that.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • karen57
    Options
    that’s ok thanks for your help 
    best wishes 
    karen
  • EbonyOrtiz
    EbonyOrtiz Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Thanks for the info, I will keep it in my mind.
  • DavionKling
    DavionKling Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    the DWP's response appears to align with their standard policy. Typically, they can backdate payments up to 3 months, and it seems they've done so in your case. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    the DWP's response appears to align with their standard policy. Typically, they can backdate payments up to 3 months, and it seems they've done so in your case. 

That's not correct for PIP purposes and also some other DWP benefits too. For PIP if it's a first time claim and you're not transferring from DLA, providing you had the difficulties for at least 3 months then it's paid from the date you rang to start your claim. It can't be backdated further than the date you rang to start your claim.

For Universal Credit it can only be backdated for a maximum of 1 month but only in the most extreme cases.

New Style ESA can be backdated for a maximum of 3 months, providing you weren't claiming SSP at that time. ESA can't be paid at the same time as SSP.

For reviews of PIP in normal times if it's started by DWP then there's not usually any money owed if the new award is higher, as the new award starts from the date of the decision. As the backlogs are extremely long in a lot of cases the decision maker is using their own discretion whether to backdate the award to an earlier date and pay the difference between the old award and the new award.

When reporting changes if you had the increased difficulties for at least 3 months before you rang then any increased award will be from the date you rang. In this case Karen reported a change of health condition but when they rang they didn't experience the increased difficulties for at least 3 months before ringing. For this reason it wasn't backdated to the date they rang.

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.