LCWRA, PIP and voluntary work — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LCWRA, PIP and voluntary work

Cailla_Lily Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I’ve been on LCWRA and lower band PIP for 3 years now. 
I’m getting to the point where I feel isolated, lonely and it’s not helping the depression. 
I’ve been offered the chance to help in a local school holiday club to help with art and craft.  Because of mobility issues and pain I can only realistically do this infrequently.  
It would be during school holidays so not a lot of days doing a trial of 2 days next holiday.  
I’d really like to try this. It would get me out and I’d be with company plus give me a feeling that I’m helping someone.  
My own grandchildren live 200 miles away and I’d enjoy being with other children. 
Am I allowed to do this? It’s voluntary and only 5 minutes from my home. I get anxious going somewhere new so this would be ideal.  
Would it conflict with the reasons I’m on pip and UC?
I’m worried they would think if I can do this then I should work. I really can’t do a full days work everyday. 
I’m on pain medication and antidepressants.  Some days I can barely walk because of the pain. I’ve also not recovered my energy since going into hospital last year with covid. 
I think this will be good for me. 
Can anyone help please? 
thank you 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,151 Disability Gamechanger
    You can work whilst claiming either of those, including paid work. Yes, you do need to be aware that if the work you do contradicts the reasons why you're claiming either of them then it could go against you when you're next reviewed.

    Although it's voluntary, you should still report the changes to UC but make sure you tell them it's voluntary. You do not need to tell PIP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jimm_Scope
    Jimm_Scope Posts: 2,705 Scope online community team
    Hey again @Cailla_Lily, first of all I just want to say I find it pretty amazing that you're off volunteering while still dealing with those issues. It's certainly not easy but I have amazing respect for all volunteers. 

    As Poppy said as long as it doesn't conflict with anything you've told the DWP it should be fine, and you don't have to inform PIP at all, just UC.

    From what you've said you are doing this very infrequently and the majority of the time you are still too ill to work, if the DWP asks just tell them your exact circumstances as you did when you were assessed :)
    They/Them, however they are no wrong pronouns with me so whatever you feel most comfortable with
    Online Community Specialist

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us. 
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions are my own, such as mashed potato being bad.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.