Quick question regarding Carers element and Sick notes. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Quick question regarding Carers element and Sick notes.

Options
Beserkernaut
Beserkernaut Community member Posts: 12 Listener
Hello

If I am receiving the carers element and am currently out of work due to illness, do I still need to send sick notes to UC or does one cancel the other out? I am based in N.Ireland. Thanks.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,724 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you want to go through the work capability assessment then yes you will need to report your health condition, supported by a fit note within 7 days of that. You will then be referred for a work capability assessment, usually from day 29 after you provided your first fit note.

If found to have LCWRA then you will receive this element, not the carers element because the same person can't claim both elements at the same time.

The only time you won't receive the LCWRA element is if you're claiming UC with a partner that already receives it on your claim.

With the carers element, if you're claiming this for looking after your child then your partner can claim this instead of you, if you're found to have LCWRA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • AtlasShoulders
    AtlasShoulders Community member Posts: 42 Connected
    Options
    @Beserkernaut I believe that if you are receiving Carers Element, you are automatically in the "No Work-Related Requirements" so you shouldn't be required to attend appointments or look for work, even without a sick note.

As Poppy says, the only effect of sending sick notes would be to trigger a Work Capability Asssessment, which would only be beneficial if you believed that you were sufficiently unwell to qualify for LCWRA. 
  • Beserkernaut
    Beserkernaut Community member Posts: 12 Listener
    Options
    Thanks. I was a bit confused because as a sick note is about to run out, I received a "Fit note expiry" warning on my journal and was unsure why this was a big deal. I have been sending them anyway.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,724 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When you report a health condition then you will receive reminders when the fit note is about to expire. If you want to continue with the assessment then you'll need to make sure there's no gaps in your fit notes because this can affect when the LCWRA element is paid from.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.