Living Healthy Lives: Exploring the effects of growing older with cerebral palsy

Richard_Scope
Richard_Scope Posts: 3,660 Cerebral Palsy Network
For the last 2 years, Scope has been working with Dr. Sonali Shah and the University of Nottingham to understand the effects of cerebral palsy (CP)  as people grow older and understand their needs and access to health services as they age. The project was the first and largest UK study about ageing with CP and healthcare usage.

Research Aim

To improve understanding of the effects of growing older for men and women with cerebral palsy (CP), their changing healthcare needs and access to services across the life course; and provide vital insights for people with CP, health and rehabilitation professionals to identify and meet the needs of this growing group of people.

Following the completion of the study, a number of outputs have been delivered to help inform the future of healthcare regarding cerebral palsy.

Output and Impact

Policy Brief

A policy brief, based on research with adults with CP, has been created which outlines key considerations and recommendations to ensure adequate support and enable individuals with CP to lead fulfilling lives as they age.

Journal Article

We have published a journal article in the British Journal of General Practitioners (BJGP) Open on the quantitative findings from a large multi-method study about the effects of cerebral palsy in adulthood and access to healthcare for men and women with this lifelong impairment. The findings will help healthcare practitioners to provide good quality care to people with CP across the life course.

Film and Infographic

A short animated film and infographic for healthcare providers about cerebral palsy across the life course have been developed to help health professionals better understand why cerebral palsy happens, its effects, and what they can do in practice. The Film and Infographic can also be downloaded by the person living with CP to help start a conversation with their GP or healthcare provider.

Infographic highlighting a quick guide to Cerebral Palsy in Adults

[Infographic of a Quick Guide to Cerebral Palsy. It shows the main issues faced by people living with CP as they age]

The full Living Healthy Lives: Exploring the Effects of Growing Older with Cerebral Palsy report is attached as a Word document and PDF.

Accompanying Animation and Healthcare Professional Training Tool

Comments

• Stayce
    Stayce Community member, CP Network Posts: 839 Empowering
    Hi @Richard_Scope

Thanks for sharing this. An interesting read and I think the infographic is impactful.

Let me know if I can be of any help in a research capacity with any future work in this area

Best
  • Richard_Scope
    Hi @Stayce
    I'll be sure to let you know. What are your thoughts on the animation film?
  • DanceDeb
    DanceDeb Community member Posts: 36 Connected
    Hi I am 57 yrs next year i have anthoid cp and recently has been diagnosed with dsytonia, mild osteoarthritis in both both hips and degenerative scoliosis. I am worried if my spine is crumbling that I will be a wheelchair user in the future . Is this expected this deterioration  with CP
  • Richard_Scope
    @DanceDeb most adults with all forms of CP do have some deterioration as they age. However, how that presents is a very individual thing as with the CP itself.