What is SDP ? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What is SDP ?

Options
Natz40
Natz40 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
Hello . I’m hoping someone can help me
. I have had a very difficult time due too a change of circumstances I had too apply for UC , ( currently claim ESA income based although this will stop on the 9th of October) while I was sorting all the UC out , a gentleman from ESA asked me about SDP and said that I am owed some ? Now I have a copy of my ESA letter and wondering if the disability income guarantee is SDP ? I’m dry a phone call on Tuesday too find out how much they owe me , but now am confused about it all ? Sorry if I haven’t made any sense at all I always find it hard explaining things ! 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,125 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Natz40 - my understanding is that the Disability Income Guarantee is also known as the Enhanced Disability Premium (EDP). The EDP is currently £19.55 a week, whereas the Severe Disability Premium (SDP) is £76.40 a week.
    With SDP you usually live alone (unless someone else living with you also has a qualifying benefit), & no one should be claiming Carers Allowance or the carer element of UC for looking after you. Hope some of that helps you sort things out.
  • Natz40
    Natz40 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Options
    Thanks . So basically they are right in that they owe it me ? Also they are aware my daughter has and still does live with me they class her as a non dependent from 18 but they said that’s still okay so yeah I should get it then . 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,704 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Natz40 said:
    Thanks . So basically they are right in that they owe it me ? Also they are aware my daughter has and still does live with me they class her as a non dependent from 18 but they said that’s still okay so yeah I should get it then . 

In this case you will only be entitled to SDP if any of the following apply. 

You still claim child benefit for your daughter, because she’s still in full time non advanced education, as this would mean she’s still a dependent. 

Or if she’s either registered blind or she claims a qualifying disability benefit herself, such as PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.