Live music or studio version? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Live music or studio version?

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,772 Disability Gamechanger
Do you enjoy listening to songs being played live, or do you prefer listening to the studio copy?

By "live" this doesn't mean you have to be there in person, it could be on YouTube or on the television. I have never been to a live music concert myself but I always prefer the live version of a song and will try to find footage of it being played instead of buying the studio copy.

Looking forward to hearing peoples preferences.

Live music or studio version? 12 votes

Live
58%
woodbine66MustangBibliokleptWelshBlueBeaver79Albus_ScopeFabs 7 votes
Studio
41%
OverlyAnxiousbg844durhamjaide2001C_JRosie_Scope 5 votes

Comments

• durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Studio
    I find them live is to noisy for me but when I'm listening to them I prefer it it's more relaxed. 
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,364 Scope online community team
    Options
    Studio
    Ooh interesting!

I like watching live music either in person or on TV as I think you get more of the experience and rawness of it, but I much prefer the studio versions if I'm just listening. Especially if there's crowd noises in the background, I'd rather just hear the band! 
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,379 Scope online community team
    Options
    Live
    See this is very tricky!  I love live music, but can rarely get to gigs these days. I really miss playing gigs, but that's not happening any more!.  Seeing the raw emotion of a live set will always be more exciting for me.  Way more emotive, but sometimes hearing the full studio version can get more of the artists vision across. 

Recorded shows like MTVs Unplugged series are personal favorites of mine.
    Albus (he/him)

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Live
    Interesting comments everyone, thanks for voting and sharing :) 
  • WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 755 Pioneering
    Options
    Live
    I've voted live but it can depend on the artist/ band

Eg.  The Killers - studio.  Was most disappointed live, they sounded awful IMO, whereas Pink or Stereophonics are fantastic live

I've been lucky to go to a lot of gigs, sadly those days are gone ... would go into total melt-down with all of those people.  

Would maybe risk it for Elle King. or The Shires

Me and Alexa churn through a lot of music  ... currently listening to the Life album by Boy George.  Well worth a listen.  Brilliant production that only a studio can give ... 
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Live
    @WelshBlue I came across The Killers recently, I like the song called "Somebody Told Me" and I agree it sounds better in the studio than live!!!

This one sounded OK though I thought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLIJ_vY4uQQ
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    Live
    Oh totally right there @WelshBlue. The writing and performing can be amazing, but if the production is rubbish, it can really ruin the whole album.  A great producer can save an awful live performer too. 

Same goes for live music, if the soundman isn't on the ball, it can turn an epic performance into a muddy wash of noise and feedback. 

But some performers cant even be saved by a good soundman.  Yeah, I'm looking at you Gwen Stefani!  :D
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • michael57
    michael57 Community member Posts: 237 Pioneering
    Options
    Mmmmm 2 of the best live singers would be eva Cassidy  or Aaron neville or my bestest of all Bridge over troubled water studio version tho 
  • WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 755 Pioneering
    Options
    Live
    @66Mustang ... you'll enjoy all of the albums if you get a chance to listen to them.  All pretty uplifting stuff

@Albus_Scope ... couldn't agree more.  Producers are the gods of the music industry. You've only got to look at Jim Steinman ... what a legend.

My daughter moonlights at gigs from her job as a paramedic.  The best performance this year so far she reckons is Sabaton - true to the studio and one of the most emotive concerts she's been to, in her words ... lots of F words to describe how good it was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgGhhnQB1gw&ab_channel=Sabaton

Takes a lot to be better than MotorHead ... 

I'd never heard of them but have all the back catalogue now.  
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    Live
    Oh I loved seeing Sabaton live!  They certainly know how to put on a show AND can play their instruments brilliantly.  though in the same style as Sabaton, seeing Disturbed perform The Sound of Silence is definitely one of my all time best concert moments. 

My first gig was The Cure, back in 1990, now that was a magical experience.  B)
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Live
    I loooooooooooove live music and enjoyed lots of concerts when I was a teenager but I hate the hot, sweaty environment with people squished against you and being annoying. One of my fondest music memories is at a Download festival which was intense but magical. It was more overwhelming than a seated concert but I liked the freedom to walk around and do my own thing so didn't feel as trapped. I'd love to get back to a concert one day but not sure I could handle the crowds now. 

But unless I'm watching it too (say on TV or youtube or whatever) I really struggle to listen to live music because of the other sounds and so if I'm just listening to music without video then it would be studio version. 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,637 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Studio
    If I'm listening to music in bed or in the background while doing something else then I always prefer the studio version.  As above, I often find live versions have too much other noise which spoils it and can even put me off the task I was trying to complete.

But, nothing beats the atmosphere of actual live music, either in person or watching it on TV.  :)
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,708 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Live
    I always loved going to concerts although don't get to many (if any)now, my first was in 1972 and I still remember it.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Studio
    Both but Studio edges it for me due to the kind of music I like, I also find that when I'm home music tends to relax me.
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 20,860 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Live
    Live for me every time.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.