PIP assessment tomorrow, would love advice. - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP assessment tomorrow, would love advice.

Options
2»

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,880 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That’s great news. Now I’d advise you to get a highlighter pen and go through that report with very fine tooth comb and highlight every single relevant part. 

Once you’ve done that then start on the real world examples. 

Don’t worry if you’re outside of the 1 month timeframe because you have 13 months. Don’t forget to give a reason why you’re late requesting it. Whatever you do, please do not ring them to request it. 

The more effort you put in now the less you will need to do for the next stage, if it gets that far. If more advice is needed please just shout. You can do this! 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lainad
    lainad Community member Posts: 7 Connected
    Options
    Please do not focus wholly on the report because that isn’t going to get you a PIP award. It’s fine to mention a couple of contradictions/errors but then move on and put it to one side and forget about it. 

For your reasonable adjustments then I would mention those in the MR letter. Don’t forget those all important real world examples. 
    How much should I be writing for each bit? I think I wrote way too much in my application. I am thinking of structuring it like this:

Descriptor (heading) 

How many points I got vs what I think I should have got

A few bullet points or a short paragraph about why. For example, "I got 0 points for preparing a meal, but I think I should have got 4 points, because the assessor did not apply the criterion that you must be able to reliably do an activity (i.e. do it most of the time and in a timely manner) to be considered to be able to carry it out. 4 or more days a week, I am unable to prepare a hot meal from fresh ingredients, as I either forget or get cannot get motivated to do so due to the symptoms of my ADHD. This means I eat something like toast or cheese and crackers when I realise I'm really hungry. My parents also regularly have to prompt me to prepare meals via text messages."

A real world example. For example "Yesterday, I was reading some articles online. It felt like five minutes had passed, but in reality, hours had passed, and by the time I realised I was hungry, it was 10pm, and I was too exhausted to prepare a meal, so I had two pieces of toast."

Would this kind of thing be right?

• SaintB
    SaintB Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Options
    So today I've finished up my MR letter, explaining each area I disagree with my points, why I disagree with examples and descriptions of my symptoms and relating it to real world examples -along with a 'this happened in this situation recently' example for each. 

Now just need to wait for my WCA report to come in the post so I can see if it's worth adding and getting my mentor to check over what I've written for any errors/typos or if theres anything she things I missed out. Once thats all done I can send it out.

The whole things come to about 6k words/12 pages of my own explanations... is that too much? I've tried to be detailed about it and avoid missing anything and I can't find anything I can really take out without losing vital information or backing up what I'm saying. Writing about truamatic events and experiences to explain myself has been...incredibly exhausting not gonna lie. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    SaintB said:

The whole things come to about 6k words/12 pages of my own explanations... is that too much? 
    It will depend on what exactly you've written. They don't need to know your life story. Less is often more. Keep it relevant and straight to the point. You should aim for at least half an A4 side of paper per descriptor that applies to you.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • SaintB
    Options
    I hope giving an update a few weeks later is okay but I wanted to say I sent off my letter and everything a few days ago. I'd already started the MR via the phone and had it confirmed via text, and let them know I was sending them evidence. I waited because I was hoping a copy of my WCA would arrive like I was told but unfortunately I've had to sign of it so just noted why in my form. I kept a copy of everything I sent so if anything goes missing in the post I've got it to hand. 

I was text to say it should be looked at by 04/01/24 which I know is just an estimate and I imagine right now is a rather busy time of year for all this. But it's nice to have my side of things 'done' for now if nothing else. 

I know MR's have a very low rate of succeeding but fingers crossed. And I know where to get help with an appeal when that stage happens.  
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It can take up to a couple of weeks for them to receive what you've sent so i hope they will wait for it before making a decision because they don't have to do that. This is why you were advised by chiarieds earlier in the thread not to ring to start the MR and just put the request in writing.
  • SaintB
    Options
    Hello I kept forgetting to give an update on how my MR has been going!
    I received a call from the decision maker this recent Friday to clarify some details/answer some questions which I did with help from my mum.  It was quite the surprise as I had no warning and luckily I answered the call, I usually don't if I don't know the number. 

Anyways though, the DM then told me she's overturned the decision that was made with the new evidence I gave in and my answers. She told me it is standard for both daily living and mobility which admittedly isn't quite what I believe based on my needs/struggles I should fit the points for but honestly I'm glad to have had any positive change at this stage. And the decision is for 5 years which I am really happy about. I didn't think to ask how in particular the DM scored each category for me so I am not sure on how it's scored, she did ask if I had any questions but to be honest I was so frazzled and overstimulated it completely skipped my mind.

But I'll find out that aspect when I get a letter through which I know probably wont be till new years as PIP letters usually take at least a couple of weeks I've found. I got set up with citizens advice a couple weeks back and they'll go through the letter with me whenever that arrives, I don't see myself trying to appeal this decision cause unless something is drastically incorrect in a way I can prove I don't think the stress or risk of losing what I've got now would be worth it.

So it's good news, I feel like my anxiety wont ease until I either get a letter or bank payment because part of me still feels this is unreal to be honest with you. 
  • Binky1234
    Binky1234 Community member Posts: 408 Pioneering
    Options
    @SaintB huge congratulations I'm so pleased for you.
    Knowing When to walk away is Wisdom, being able is courage, walking away with your head held high is dignity.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.