Upset by neighbours — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Upset by neighbours

Options
2cats25
2cats25 Community member Posts: 11 Connected
Hi all, I live alone and have CP which affects my left side.

I lost my Motability car in 2018 after losing my PIP appeal. I eventually got it back in 2021 (full care/mobility rates). After Covid I tried to get another Motability car but was told there was an 18 month waiting list due to the worldwide microchip shortage. My driveway has been empty since 2018 and due to lack of parking space my neighbours have been blocking my driveway (and dropped kerb) with their 2 BMW's and small Honda? I tolerated this as I know parking is difficult here. During the last 6 months I have considered getting another car and have asked them to leave my driveway clear, thinking they would oblige as per the highway code driveways and dropped kerbs should be kept clear. They have ignored all my requests .

My neighbours opposite have 4 vehicles including a transit van, plus two regular visitors who each have a car. That is 9 vehicles trying to find space near two houses. Neighbours opposite have a small drive that can accommodate the van and two cars. Next door don't have a drive and park on the road, or across my drive.

In the meantime, my hand arthritis has worsened and I'm due to have a computer guided injection next month. I will need help with care and shopping etc and my visitors and deliveries will need somewhere to park. I have again asked my neighbours to leave the drive clear without telling them about my health woes, they are not particularly pleasant. I don't want them as friends but am keen to be a decent neighbour. How do I get them to allow my callers to park on my drive without a fuss? If the injection alleviates my pain I would like to start driving again if the buying process is easier. 

I don't want to fall out with my neighbours .Their landlord lives nearby but has always turned a blind eye to their behaviour. Any help would be appreciated as I'm getting upset just thinking about approaching my neighbours again.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,726 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Cars cause more problems between neighbours than anything else. Until you get a car I suspect there's not much you can do but when you do I would if I were you park it across my dropped kerb and not on my drive.
    Hope the injection helps.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @2cats25

Welcome to the community! :) I'm sorry to hear your health hasn't been great. I also hope the injections are a big help!

Citizen's Advice have a page on complaining about your neighbours which you may find helpful to read. I would also reach out to your Local MP for support on the issue. They may be able to help as a third party with conversations to stop them parking on your dropped kerb.

Outside of the box thinking, they may also be able to advise on a disabled parking space in front of your house? Something to consider if you have another vehicle? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 494 Pioneering
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hello 2cats25

Visit your local council's website, as most councils have a dedicated section for reporting blocked access. In these situations, the council can take action independently when cars are obstructing your driveway, and your direct involvement won't be necessary. 

This approach creates the impression that the council had its civil enforcement officer on-site that day or evening, issuing civil penalty notices of £70.00 for this violation. Perhaps, when you have your own vehicle and start using your driveway, your neighbours will refrain from blocking it, knowing that access is now required by you 24 hours a day.

• 2cats25
    2cats25 Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    Options
    Thank you all for your good advice. I have tried leaving the drive gates open to give the impression I'm expecting company. Sadly that didn't help. Lots of litter blew in and dogs came into the garden which upset my elderly cat who snoozes under a bush.
    I will check the council website to see what could happen if this situation doesn't improve.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.