Wheelchar access to a shingle beach — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wheelchar access to a shingle beach

Options
JohnSto
JohnSto Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I am looking to get funding for wheelchair access to the beach at Hythe Kent. The beach is shingle and moves in bad weather so it cannot be a permanent structure. I have seen mats that roll out to provide access but these would have to be put out and then put away. Does anyone have experence in how these type of schemes work or other solutions for access??

Comments

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,364 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @JohnSto, welcome to the community :) hope you're doing well.

This is a really interesting one. I'm afraid I don't have any specific advice myself, but perhaps our members might be able to help. I'm going to pop your post into the Disability Rights & Campaigns section where it'll be a bit more visible to others with similar experiences.

Have you had any contact with the local council or the MP for the area? They may be able to ask their teams to do some research for you and see if they can come up with any solutions.
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • johndtay
    johndtay Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    Options
    It is a struggle even walking on a shingle beach, I've got walking and some vision issues. For me it's just not worth going on them. If it's somewhere which are not stayed on long time say 10-20 minutes I just find a seat on the side.

Ramsgate (I think) beach. One end of the access is onto the beach is a steep ramp, from the bottom there is a clear wood footpath along the beach to the other end where there is a normal lift back up to the top of the front.

So, depending how long you want to stay, the simplest option is find a sandy beach is the best option.
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Options
    johndtay said:
    It is a struggle even walking on a shingle beach, I've got walking and some vision issues. For me it's just not worth going on them. If it's somewhere which are not stayed on long time say 10-20 minutes I just find a seat on the side.

Ramsgate (I think) beach. One end of the access is onto the beach is a steep ramp, from the bottom there is a clear wood footpath along the beach to the other end where there is a normal lift back up to the top of the front.

So, depending how long you want to stay, the simplest option is find a sandy beach is the best option.
    Looking at Google there is a long and wide sandy beach only a few miles away at Dymchurch
    Much nearer than Ramsgate.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.