WCA tomorrow — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

WCA tomorrow

Options
Crazyone
Crazyone Scope Member Posts: 17 Courageous
After a long wait (they received the paperwork back on the 11th of July), I finally received notification that my WCA for UC is tomorrow.

I'm so anxious it is unbelievable, I can't think straight, keep snapping, can't settle and I'm just feeling so out of control and convinced I'll say something that will be taken the wrong way.

I'm a pleaser, hate to sound like I'm struggling or giving in, so it is not in my nature to be really open and honest about how much things are a struggle and I tend to minimise things but the truth is, my health is pants and this whole process is triggering my what was in control and stable mental health.

No idea why I am posting, probably for a bit of moral support, the cats have got so tired/annoyed of me moaning at them they have taken to hiding away in case I start again!

Comments

• Crazyone
    Options
    Phew, it is over and now the wait begins.

Phone assessment, took 1 hour and 9 minutes and my carer had to take over as my speech went.

I am utterly and completely drained now.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,439 Scope online community team
    Options
    Heya @Crazyone, I'm glad that's out of the way for you, I had mine last week and I was a bundle of sweaty nerves for the entire day.   It's totally ok to take some time for you to recoup now, the hardest bit is over. :)

I'm sorry we missed your original post, I'd have been your cheerleader, with tiny pom poms and everything!  How do you think it went? Feeling positive? 

Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Crazyone
    Options
    Thanks for your response Albus, it is appreciated.

I'm really not sure, losing my speech was very frustrating as my carer was having difficulty picking up everything I wanted to say in a response, so things could have been missed. It certainly made some explanations interesting to say the least "Err, don't know what you're trying to say" was very prevalent or guessing the wrong words and then me growling at him,

I didn't get to explain how much my mobility is impacted, so really no idea if she was clear that I can't self propel although my carer was able to say that he has to be with me at all times outside the house to push my chair and has to oik me around the house (my house is not wheelchair suitable - long story, waiting for a wheelchair accessible property as mine is not able to be adapted)

I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best but prepare for the worse but I'll be like a cat on a hot tin roof until I find out.
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    We'll be keeping everything crossed for you my friend. :)  Make sure you keep us updated and I know it's easier said than done, but try to relax a bit, maybe have a chat to our lovely regulars in the Coffee Lounge area? 

It sounds odd, but you losing your speech may well work in your favour, it definitely shows you struggle there and your carer was there to help to try and fill in the blanks and also give their side of things. 
    Albus (he/him)

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Crazyone
    Options
    An update

Just had the result letter uploaded to my journal, I have been awarded LCWRA.

Bit of a wait but glad that is all over now...well for now anyway.

Relevant dates
    Signed up for UC June 13th June, health condition and fit note declared at the same time
    UC35 on 22nd June
    UC50 received shortly after and returned to them with their receipt 11th July
    WCA 11th October
    Result today.

Phew, still shaking and my heart rate still through the roof but a huge relief. 
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    Ah excellent news @Crazyone congratulations!  
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • Crazyone
    Options
    Just as a further update, I kept my video appointment with my now former work coach today. I did it voluntarily because he has been so helpful and because I felt like I needed to talk things over with him...plus he is a really cool guy who is on my level and who I can relate to as we have similar backgrounds.

He contacted me via my journal within an hour of getting my decision and asked if I still wanted to go ahead today and advised that it wasn't mandatory now, so it was really my call. I'm glad I did as he was able to answer some questions I had and he also pointed me in the direction of where I could get some extra help.

This afternoon, I got another message on my journal, my backpay has been sorted (one month owing for LCWRA for last month - this month is on my statement for payment Friday), plus money to come back now that the work allowance has been applied to the start of my claim and they have advised it is due to be paid this week.

I'm flabbergasted, I thought it would be at least a few weeks until it was sorted but I'll still only believe it when I see it in my account.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,697 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Glad it's been sorted. They do sometimes pay what is owed quite quickly but not always.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Crazyone
    Options
    I agree (I may not post much but I read the posts every day) and I thought I would be one of those who would be waiting for them to work it out, it seems to have been my experience throughout this process when seeing others getting their WCA appointments through quickly and then a decision within a few days. I just assumed/expected this part to take a long while too. 

I'm not moaning though, it was a nice surprise to have it settled so quickly...well that is if it goes in when they say it will.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.