Council housing waiting list household income threshold — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Council housing waiting list household income threshold

Options
Reddragon69
Reddragon69 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi everyone, 

we have been issued a Section 21 due to end at the end of October. I am on income based ESA support group and PIP. My partner has had to give up work to have two full shoulder replacement operations due to having no cartilage from Osteoarthritis. He worked before that and intends on returning to work afterwards. He is now on my ESA claim and gets Pip standard daily living. We have just become Special Guardians for a child that was previously Looked After. He has significant needs and gets DLA and we now receive a Special Guardian allowance from the Local Authority - it’s classed as a Kinship payment and is not classed as income for benefit purposes. 

We have made a homeless application to the council but in filling the financial forms out, we have discovered that there is an income threshold and the SGO allowance takes us over that. We are worried sick now as we are facing homelessness and are worried about our child’s placement with us. The allowance is for his additional needs due to trauma and disability but I don’t think the council will discount it. 

Does anyone know if they have to exempt PIP and DLA as that payment is meant for additional support for disability, not paying rent? I have mobility problems and my PIP is used for taxis. If I have to use it for rent I won’t be able to go out. 

If anyone can advise I would be extremely grateful. 

Thank you 

Comments

• Sindy61
    Sindy61 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Good afternoon. 
    Were you granted (special guardianship) through court for this child or is this a long term kinship/fostering arrangement? Either way you would have gone through an assessment. 

I do not believe either option means money paid to you should be included as ( income) as it's a local authority allowance. 

Please refer to gov.uk website re housing benefit. It should say what the criteria is on their. 

Good luck 🤞

Sindy61!
  • Reddragon69
    Reddragon69 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Thank you, I’ve since found out that they do not take certain income into account which makes us under the threshold. Thank you. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.