UC joint claim and payment reduced to £0 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC joint claim and payment reduced to £0

Options
Ali_lovesTheUK
Ali_lovesTheUK Community member Posts: 30 Connected
Hello all 
I’m really do need your help . 
Since I have got married (on the 2nd  September 2023) I was advised to put a join claim in for UC as I now live with my husband . I and my husband has applied to UC as a joint claim . When I got my UC statement I was very shocked and depressed to find they are not going to pay me anything . 
I have phone them up last week and the gentleman I spoken to say that my original payment has been take away cos of my husband income (he in full time work ) im at my wits end not knowing how I can get any payment of some kind … this had serious had a huge impact on my mental health to the point where my mental health has gone into crisis . Please can you help . I have no money to pay my own bills or get food or any other of the basic living costs . If I could I would close my  UC claim down but I can’t afford to lose that amount of money UC pays me as this is my only source of income I get . Please help this has serious effect my mental health 
Mental Health Matters. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,707 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When claiming UC with a partner your joint circumstances are taken into consideration. This means that because your husband works any earnings he receives will affect your UC entitlement because it's a means tested benefit. 

Whether there's any entitlement will depend on your husbands earnings and what your maximum UC entitlement is.

It's difficult to advise without knowing both of your details because you haven't given any information for me to be able to help.

Have you been through the work capability assessment, if so what was the decision on that? 

Do you claim a disability benefit such as either PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or ADP daily living? Do you have dependant children? do you rent or own your own home? As well as how much net earnings he receives each month.

You can use a benefits calculator to check entitlement too. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • dkb123
    dkb123 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 166 Pioneering
    Options
    you are treated as a couple and as your husband works, you are expected to share his income 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,707 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    dkb123 said:
    you are treated as a couple and as your husband works, you are expected to share his income 

Yes indeed but sometimes the maximum entitlement is wrong, which is why i asked for more information. Without that information it's impossible to give any advice. Just because someone works, it doesn't mean there's no entitlement.

I see questions were asked about claiming with their partner on a previous thread and i also asked for more information on there but Ali didn't return to give the information.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.