1st time applying — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

1st time applying

missypinks
missypinks Community member Posts: 33 Listener
Hi I've been looking g through this page for weeks but been too scared to join but as the days go on I've been getting more confused, I applied for pip in September then on the 21st got a message saying thanks for sending in forms, then last week got a phone call from a withheld number and I can't remember who she said she was but she asked me if I would be ok with having a telephone assessment and I said yes but might need someone with me because I had help with forms from welfare rights, she didn't give me a date so I thought I would get a message but havnt recieved anything yet , do you know if I will get an appointment through post or in a message. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 52,180 Disability Gamechanger
    Did they ask any questions about your health condition during that phone call? Though it's rare sometimes they will ring without warning to ask some questions to see if they can get enough of information to write the assessment report without needing a full assessment.

If no questions were asked and a full assessment is needed then they will send you an appointment letter. They will then send you reminders about that appointment by text message, if you gave a mobile number.

Most are by telephone, some are video and face to face at an assessment centre. If you can't do face to face then you can ask for a telephone appointment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • missypinks
    Thankyou for replying poppy, no she didn't ask any questions just asked if I would be ok to do a telephone assessment,  I was confused because most posts I read don't say anything about them phoning to ask if you would want a telephone assessment they just send messages, she didn't ask for my number but guessing they would have it , she didn't say when or how I would receive an appointment either
  • poppy123456
    As they rang you then they will already have your phone number. I've known them ring to offer short notice appointments, if they've had a cancellation. Seems like they were checking which assessment you preferred, which isn't such a bad thing. Sometimes they just send appointments and then people panic because they wanted telephone but were sent a face to face appointment and don't realise they can ring to change it. 

Hopefully you won't be waiting too long for an appointment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • missypinks
  • missypinks
    Hi poppy, my assessment appointment just came through and I feel really sick , I don't know wether to have the man from welfare rights who helped with my form on call with me or not, just incase I get confused with questions or freeze up, you dont think it will affect it in any way , has anyone else on here had someone on call with them ?
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,286 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2023
    You can have someone there with you but its unlikely welfare rights would be able to spare someone but they might.
    My OH had her review by telephone about 4 weeks ago it took 90 minutes, she had a text today saying a decision had been made and she would get it (or not) in writing within 14 days.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• missypinks
    Thankyou, all the comments I'm reading about them not being very understanding and lying has really worried me I wished I'd of never looked at anything 
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 1,618 Scope online community team
    Hello @missypinks, welcome to the community :) sorry to read about your struggles. It's a hard process sometimes, but there is lots of support available here if you ever need it.

One thing some people find helpful if you're able is keeping some notes nearby to refer back to should you find you're struggling with a question. Every case is different, so try not to read too many horror stories if you can.

Is there anyone else who could be there with you if Welfare Rights aren't able to? Do you have any friends or family that could sit with you for support?
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    I've never known anyone from Welfare Rights attending an assessment with a claimant, even when it's a phone call.

Please try not to worry too much about what you've read. It's only natural that you mostly only read the bad stories because if someone's had a decision they are happy with they have no questions to ask so we don't hear their story.

The assessment can last anywhere from 20 to 120 minutes sometimes long. Try not to answer any questions with just a yes or no and try to give as much detail as possible.

Once the report is written and returned a decison can take up to 12 weeks.
  • missypinks
    Thankyou everyone I only thought of welfare rights because tje man that filles in my form asked me to ring him if I needed anything else so didn't know if that's what he meant, I would have my mom with me but I feel quite embarrassed about some things I'll need to talk about 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.