How to cope with a PIP assessment? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How to cope with a PIP assessment?

Options
FluffyCatMeow
FluffyCatMeow Community member Posts: 16 Connected
Hi all,

I have a PIP telephone assessment this afternoon (so I’m maybe posting this a bit late lol) but I’m just feeling so sick with nerves (I’ve had mixed experiences with benefits - some have been great, others not so much, including when I was bed bound and they said I could walk the length of a football field).

In previous assessments, I have been in a lot of pain and exhaustion because they require so much energy and I’ve also cried a lot because discussing things in detail is really tough emotionally.

Anyhoodles, I figured I’d ask if anyone has any tips on how they get through the pre-assessment and in-assessment stress, etc, please?

Comments

• Leigh14
    Leigh14 Community member Posts: 575 Pioneering
    Options
    Awww, bless you @fluffycat. Make sure phone is fully charged, glass of water near you (my mouth gets dry during long conversations) Maybe have your forms with you to remind yourself of what you wrote and sent to them.
    I’m sure you’ll be fine, though it is stressful I know. Keep telling yourself that it will soon be over, then you can relax.
    I wouldn’t worry either about expressing emotions, pretty sure assessors have heard and seen all of this before.
    What time is the assessment? Good luck 
  • FluffyCatMeow
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice and kind words, @Leigh14 ☺️

the assessment was meant to be at 2:15 but they, once already late, called to cancel. I burst into tears and feel so ill and now I have to go through it all again 🥺
  • Leigh14
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice and kind words, @Leigh14 ☺️

the assessment was meant to be at 2:15 but they, once already late, called to cancel. I burst into tears and feel so ill and now I have to go through it all again 🥺
    Oh no, I’m so sorry. They obviously had their reasons (nothing to do with you of course) but you had worked yourself up for it. Try and do something nice for the rest of the day🤗 Did they give you another date?
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,439 Scope online community team
    Options
    Sorry i missed your original post @FluffyCatMeow!  And sorry they cancelled on you. 

The build up is stressful enough as it is, then they go and cancel and it just seems stupidly unfair.  As Leigh asked, have they given you another date yet?  Please try not to panic too much, we're all here to support you on your journey. 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • FluffyCatMeow
    Options
    @Leigh14 yeah I think the assessor was off sick. The guy who called was so nice and really apologetic, and very understanding when I started to cry (I have autism and don’t cope with change). I’m booked in for towards the end of November so I really appreciate that as it gives me plenty of rest time as I’m exhausted from today. And at least the new one is early in the morning so it’s out the way and I don’t have to fret for half the day lol
  • Leigh14
    Options
    @Leigh14 yeah I think the assessor was off sick. The guy who called was so nice and really apologetic, and very understanding when I started to cry (I have autism and don’t cope with change). I’m booked in for towards the end of November so I really appreciate that as it gives me plenty of rest time as I’m exhausted from today. And at least the new one is early in the morning so it’s out the way and I don’t have to fret for half the day lol
    That’s a great plus side having an early appointment. Mine was an early one too, so I was extremely grateful for that. 
    This forum is great too with the information and valuable advice members give. Certainly put me on the right track.
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    My last assessment was at 3pm, I couldn't do anything for the entire day, I was just pacing about.  Good old autism. 

Don't forget if you just want to chill and take your mind off things for a bit, the Coffee Lounge is great. :)
    Albus (he/him)

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Strawberry1
    Strawberry1 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 2,569 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think I have an assessment after Christmas and like everything else I deal I am dreading it . Nothing has changed but I'm still dreading it . 
  • Strawberry1
    Options
    The only difference is I'm awaiting autism and adhd assessments don't know if that will go against me .
  • Strawberry1
    Options
    Waiting time for those assessments take a very long time. 
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    The only difference is I'm awaiting autism and adhd assessments don't know if that will go against me .

They won't go against you at all, dont worry!  Nothing will have changed, other than an official diagnosis, they will still effect you in the same way. 
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • Strawberry1
    Options
    Thank you @Albus_Scope , really appreciate your support. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.