UC for a 16yr old? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC for a 16yr old?

Momomo Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, my severely autistic son is about to turn 16 and I'm wondering what benefits he would be entitled to. He is currently getting higher rate DLA for care and mobility. He is on a school roll but hasn't attended in about 4 years. They have arranged an in-school 1hr session once a week which is basically him on his own with a teacher doing garden stuff.

Could I claim UC for him on his behalf? 
What benefits would he lose he went to UC? 




  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 1,481 Scope online community team
    Hiya @Momomo and welcome to the community! How are you on this crisp day? 

    I'm not 100% on all the answers to your questions, but you can claim UC as well as DLA.  I'm sure one of our excellent regulars will be able to give you a full answer shortly. :)

    You can claim on their behalf if they lack the mental capacity to manage their own affairs. If this is the case, you may be able to receive and manage benefits for them, acting as their appointee.  There's a fair bit of information here about it. 
    Albus (he/him)

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Is he still classed as a full time student? If so then unfortunately, he will not be able to claim UC in his own right.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.