UC and housing element — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC and housing element

honeyhoney Community member Posts: 14 Listener

My wife and I claim a housing element through UC.
Our lease agreement has 3 tenants: me, my wife and my son.

I understand that UC can only help pay 2/3 of the rent.

However, is it normal that 85.73 is deducted as
"1 adult living with you who is expected to pay towards the rent"
since the son already pays 1/3 of the rent?


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,780 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 18
    That's the non dependant deduction. How old is your son? If he's under 21 then there shouldn't be any deductions. Or if you or your partner are claiming either daily living PIP or DLA mid/high rate care there should also be no non dependant deductions regardless of your son's age. See link https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/non-dependants

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • honeyhoney
    honeyhoney Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    edited October 18
    ... so 1 is 24 years old but he pays the rent in accordance with the lease agreement,

    that's why UC counts 2/3 of the actual amount as rent
    and the other one is 19 years old,

    so it's also strange to me why the additional fee is cut off

    We are not of any aboves benefits.

    ... we moved a month ago, anyway, I left a query in the universal c. journal.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.