Inheritance — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Inheritance

Options
Mattzed
Mattzed Community member Posts: 18 Listener
Hey so I'm due some inheritance it will be fifty thousand originally and whatever the house is sold for, I'm not capable of having the money myself as I can barely add up, my partner also struggles where we get support of social worker with budgeting and help with remainders ,unfortunately our social worker has left and we are awaiting a new one. My sister has approached me asking if she can basically have the inheritance as she can buy a house then as she won't ever be able to do this otherwise, I agreed providing everything done correctly in regards to benefits etc, as CAB said she should get solicitors advice as this could end us been severally financial worse because still most likely not be able to get benefits, I agreed as I can't cope with such amounts of money and it's making me sick to think I may struggle because it so overwhelming,  I just know I will struggle. Anyway my sister can be over bearing especially when it comes to money and I feel like she is offering me bad advise, I'm wondering if anyone has anyone got links so she can see, I don't think me waiving or rediverting my money is best idea as CAB said don't, I won't still be getting benefits so what could I live off? So will I end up homeless? So sorry I'm not very good at understanding all this and it's very stressful something I could do without as a thousand pounds is hard to manage but all that just seems impossible, please don't judge I'm trying my best to explain and don't want to be ungrateful for money but I'm happy and settled as I am and we can just about manage.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,288 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Citizens Advice were correct. If you give away your inheritance then it will be seen as deprivation of capital and you will still be classed as having that money. This will mean with £50,000 there will be no entitlement to any means tested benefits. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Mattzed
    Options
    I thought so, I don't really understand it to be honest and don't know how I will cope with all the money but we will have to find an way, I just don't want to agree with sister as she keeps asking what about this but I have no clue what it means, just know I shouldn't agree at the minute, I struggle with all this information due to my moderate learning difficulties and even though my partner understands more than me she is struggling too, so I think I may need a solicitor as I can't get my head around this, as happy to help my sister as be nice for her to able to afford a house but not if we will get in trouble it's not worth it.
  • Mattzed
    Options
    So sorry I forgot to say thank you, for taking the time to reply.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,658 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You don't need a solicitor, the fact is if you gift the money to your sister you will still be treated as having it and will lose any means tested benefits.
    Could I suggest that you speak to your bank about help with budgeting your money not by phone but face to face if thats possible for you.
    You say you are "due" this inheritance so nows a good time to pause and think ahead if you can, hopefully you will soon get a new social worker.
    If we can be of further help do feel free to ask.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    Options
    It’s a lot of money and I’m sure that a lot of people would feel exactly the same way as you do. 

Speaking to a solicitor is a good start. Hopefully a new social worker will be sorted soon and hopefully they will be able to help you manage your money. 

If you or your partner are claiming benefits such as PIP/DLA or carers allowance they will not be affected as they aren’t means tested. It’s only means tested benefits such as UC, Income Related ESA, JSA, Income Support and council Tax reduction that will stop. 

If you’re claiming UC and you have debt, you can pay this off and it will not be classed as deprivation of capital. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Mattzed
    Options
    I don't have an actual branch it's 9 miles away and I don't go as they have shut the one most local to me. CAB are brilliant they usually help me to, I think solicitor good idea to stop me agreeing to things I shouldn't, as they can tell my sister we can't do it, as I told her what CAB have said and she said not what I read, due to my difficulties I'm really struggling I'm ok at repeating what's said to me but I don't really understand it much, she then suggested redirecting the money to her, I did ask can I do she said yes it's not the same as waiving so I agreed then CAB said it's the same, the solicitor is for my mind and help with me understanding everything properly as it takes time and usually my partner understands before me but like I said she is also struggling it's alot of information. I'm not the best at writing what I want to say, I'm not been ungrateful at all with the money and I definitely don't want to refuse it so I can keep benefits, I was doing it to help my sister and yes the the monthly amounts work perfectly I'm just unsure how I will cope and this seemed ok till I become aware it's not actually allowed but now my sister is throwing different things at me and due not really understanding I'm scared, which is why I will need to try getting some support especially with paperwork. Sorry I'm getting frustrated as don't want people to think I'm been ungrateful and trying to stay on benefits when not entitled to it.
  • Mattzed
    Options
    Yes we get PIP, we receiving money they owe in small amounts currently due to the difficulties of managing money I don't think I owe them anything I'm unsure what means tested means or do you mean because of the money I will receive I may owe them some and when should I let them know as as going to do it but CAB said not till I know when actually receiving it and how much for sorry to ask so much questions it's just trying to get head around all this seems impossible.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Means tested means a benefit that's affected by savings/capital and earnings. You will only need to report the changes once the money goes into your bank.

Other than PIP which other benefits are you claiming exactly?
  • Mattzed
    Options
    Universal credit and my partner gets ESA 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Can i just check that you're not getting confused by the LCWRA element of UC and that your partner is actually claiming ESA as a separate benefit? It should be being deducted in full from your UC entitlement.

Some people get confused between the LCWRA element and ESA and think the LCWRA is ESA, which it isn't.
  • Mattzed
    Options
    Yes she gets gets the L one on UC and ESA is taken away
  • Mattzed
    Options
    ESA goes in fortnightly and Uc monthly, she gets ESA and also LWCRA on universal credit. Sorry I had to wait for my partner's mum to write this and send, so I could copy and paste  as it gets confusing all the letters.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Then her ESA is not means tested so when you have the inheritance the ESA will continue as normal. It will only be the UC and council Tax reduction that will stop.
  • MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 473 Pioneering
    Options

Hello Mattzed

You and your partner appear to be genuinely kind-hearted individuals. The person who left you the inheritance clearly held you in high regard, and I extend my condolences for your loss. I was heartened to learn from one of your posts that your partner's mother is offering support. It's unfortunate that you're currently awaiting a new social worker. It might be worth considering whether your partner's mother could reach out to your local authority to explore other services that could assist you both as vulnerable adults during this interim period. 

Receiving an inheritance from an estate often involves a lengthy process that can take several months. I understand that this situation may seem overwhelming, but with the right support, there shouldn't be any obstacle for you to keep your inheritance. The funds will be deposited into your bank account, and your bank can help you set up automatic direct debits for expenses such as council tax, rent, mortgage, water, sewerage, gas, and electric bills. You'll just need to provide them with your latest bills, account numbers, and reference numbers, and they will handle the rest. 

Fundamentally, your everyday financial circumstances will remain largely unchanged. Rather than depending on benefits to cover your costs, you'll be utilising the inheritance funds. Poppy has outlined the benefits you'll continue to receive, so you'll still be eligible for some assistance. 

Regarding your sister, Woodbine is correct in advising that you don't require a solicitor. If you were to give the money away, you risk forfeiting your inheritance and jeopardising your benefits. Your affection for your sister is evident, and I'm certain she will understand if you explain that you need some time and space to reconsider your initial offer. 

It's important to keep in mind that, as a vulnerable individual, there are legal safeguards in place to protect people from financial exploitation. I'm not suggesting that your sister has any ill intentions, but it's crucial for both of you to ensure transparency and adhere to proper legal procedures ( your sister should pay if you require the services of a solicitor not you). if you decide to proceed with the transaction. The bank will not release the funds from your account to your sister until they are absolutely certain that everything is above board.

• Mattzed
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies I really appreciate them as can keep referring back sometimes I need it as I'm ok at repeating things but I forget vital information. I don't expect to keep any benefits as I would have alot of money my partner's mum is helping she is trying her hardest to get support, unfortunately support doesn't seem to be available very easily services have dramatically been reduced where we lived where they basically don't exsits the solicitors was so my sister and us get the correct advice I don't always understand everything and scared incase I agree without realising you have mad it sound slightly easier and to be fair on cab they have said they will still be able to support us I think the sound of having to prove my spends sounds very daunting and not sure how I can cope but I'm sure I will learn to eventually just everything seems so daunting at the minute and taking time out might help 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.