If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Just gone through first PIP review

Options
BrettW
BrettW Community member Posts: 698 Pioneering
Well after months of delays I finally went through my first PIP review by telephone.

Up until this point I was receiving standard rate mobility after having a severe heart attack back in 2020 which resulted in part of my heart dying and me being left unable to really get anywhere on my own due to circulation and breathing problems as my heart now only works at 47% efficiency.

I had my review on 11th October after the previous one was cancelled on the day it was supposed to take place without any real explanation as to why. The review itself went well and the lady who dealt with it was very patient and understanding and made me feel at ease.

This morning (23rd October) I received a text to say that a decision had been made and a letter would be sent to me. I decided to ring them and ask for the decision as by this point my stress levels have been growing and with my dicky ticker stress is not good for me.

For the last three years I have been receiving just the standard rate mobility on PIP but this time they have upped the award so that I will now receive the advanced rate mobility. I don't receive any of the care side because my issues really centre around my mobility and getting around. Needless to say I'm happy with the result of my first review and glad that its all over now for a number of years.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,801 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thats great news.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• BrettW
    Options
    Just thought I'd post a good news story because a lot of them on here are just the bad news stories and it's got to be disheartening for people if thats all they see when they are first going through the process
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,801 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    BrettW said:
    Just thought I'd post a good news story because a lot of them on here are just the bad news stories and it's got to be disheartening for people if thats all they see when they are first going through the process
    Very true that many people take to the internet with bad news stories and rarely the good news ones.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Leigh14
    Leigh14 Community member Posts: 576 Pioneering
    Options
    Thankyou for posting your good news. I’ve recently done my review form, so reading your post gives me a bit of hope.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's great news @BrettW :) I'm so glad to hear you'll now have the enhanced rate!
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • bobby123
    bobby123 Community member Posts: 204 Courageous
    Options
    BrettW said:
    Well after months of delays I finally went through my first PIP review by telephone.

Up until this point I was receiving standard rate mobility after having a severe heart attack back in 2020 which resulted in part of my heart dying and me being left unable to really get anywhere on my own due to circulation and breathing problems as my heart now only works at 47% efficiency.

I had my review on 11th October after the previous one was cancelled on the day it was supposed to take place without any real explanation as to why. The review itself went well and the lady who dealt with it was very patient and understanding and made me feel at ease.

This morning (23rd October) I received a text to say that a decision had been made and a letter would be sent to me. I decided to ring them and ask for the decision as by this point my stress levels have been growing and with my dicky ticker stress is not good for me.

For the last three years I have been receiving just the standard rate mobility on PIP but this time they have upped the award so that I will now receive the advanced rate mobility. I don't receive any of the care side because my issues really centre around my mobility and getting around. Needless to say I'm happy with the result of my first review and glad that its all over now for a number of years.
    When did you send your review form back
  • BrettW
    Options
    bobby123 said:
    When did you send your review form back
    Think it was about 3 months ago Bobby but they cancelled my first review so had to wait for a second one
  • woollywonder
    woollywonder Community member Posts: 47 Courageous
    Options
    BrettW said:

As someone claiming for the first time with a telephone assessment due next week, it certainly is good to read a positive experience! Thanks for sharing and hopefully your higher award acknowledges the extent of your difficulties?
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.