Switched to single claim. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Switched to single claim.

Options
lawraahh30
lawraahh30 Community member Posts: 23 Connected
edited October 2023 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi good morning 
I have recently just split from my partner and have just changed from a joint to a single claim. On the joint claim I was getting LCWRA. Will this still say the same on my single claim? And does anyone know if this will affect me getting the cost of living payment still? Thanks 

Comments

• lawraahh30
    edited October 2023
    Options
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,892 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As the LCWRA element was for yourself then you'll still be entitled to this as a single person. Did you think of keeping a copy of the decision letter for the WCA? The reason i ask is because when you go from a joint to single or vise versa everything from your journal is removed and sometimes they don't always get the claim correct.

The cost of living payment if you were entitled to a payment of UC for an assessment period that ended between 18th August and 17th September then you'll be entitled. However, as it was a joint claim at that time then you will not receive a payment each. It will be one payment made to the bank account where the UC was paid to as a joint claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lawraahh30
    Options
    Hi thanks for the quick reply, I did not keep a copy of the WCA decision. However I do have the report that I asked for from them after I had it done. Would that help? 
    I only ask if I’d still get the LcWRA as it now says on my new account something about I said my health affects me at work I may need an assessment to see if I can get extra money. Is this just a normal thing until my next statement comes in? I have been getting lcwra since 2021. I accepted my new commitments and nothing has changed though. 
    Thanks for your help.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The reason it says that is because the details from your joint claim have now been removed. Put a message onto your journal and tell them that you've been through the work capability assessment and were found to have LCWRA and when the decision was made.

What are your commiments exactly?

Just so that you're aware the changes will take place in the assessment period in which the changes were reported. This means your maximum UC entitlement will be less than it was for your last assessment period.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • lawraahh30
    Options
    Yes I have left a message on my journal asking if it will still be the same. 
    My commitments are just to report any changes. The same as when I was found to have LCWRA last time. 
    Does this mean my next pay will be less but in December it should be what I’ll get from now on? 
  • lawraahh30
    Options
    Sorry to be a pain, so I have two kids born after 2017, I am not working, I have LCWRA and I will get standard single allowance now. Is that correct? Will this be less in the next assessment period still? Thanks for your help. Sorry to be a pain. 
  • noman
    noman Community member Posts: 600 Pioneering
    Options
    I have recently split up with my partner and had a joint UC claim and LCWRA which was for us both,i notified uc through my journal and we both now receive single person payment and we both get lcwra.

I asked about cost of living payment and was told if it fell in the assessment period which poppy has mentioned then it would be paid into my bank account!

Will just have to wait and see!
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes I have left a message on my journal asking if it will still be the same. 
    My commitments are just to report any changes. The same as when I was found to have LCWRA last time. 
    Does this mean my next pay will be less but in December it should be what I’ll get from now on? 
    That’s the same commitments as you correctly said. Hopefully there won’t be any issues. 

It depends what dates your assessment periods cover and when you reported the changes for going from a joint to a single claim. 

• poppy123456
    Options
    noman said:

I asked about cost of living payment and was told if it fell in the assessment period which poppy has mentioned then it would be paid into my bank account!

Will just have to wait and see!
    If your UC was a joint claim during the qualifying period it will depend on what bank account details were used when it was a joint claim.

A joint claim during that period will mean only 1 payment will be made, rather than 2.
  • noman
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Our joint claim ended 8th september which was in the qualifying period,when i asked about the cost of living payment on my journal i was told it would go into the bank account associated with this claim (mine),if it wasn't in the qualifying  period then it would possibly go into the account assciated with the joint claim.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    noman said:
    Our joint claim ended 8th september which was in the qualifying period,when i asked about the cost of living payment on my journal i was told it would go into the bank account associated with this claim (mine),if it wasn't in the qualifying  period then it would possibly go into the account assciated with the joint claim.
    That means it will be paid into the account that was used for the joint claim. (Not sure if that’s what you meant) Only one of you will receive the payment, not both of you. 
  • noman
    Options
    I know only one of us will get the payment,based on what UC said in their reply to my question it should go into my account but could go into the account that was being used in the joint claim.

Only time will tell!
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It will be the joint claim account it will go into. Is that account still open with just the one name removed? 

I’ve seen quite a few threads since the CoL payments started when people are asking why it went into the joint account and not their account that their UC payments go into for the new single claim. 
  • lawraahh30
    Options
    My assessment period is from the 8th. The assessment periods confuse me. Will it go back to the normal amount in December? Thanks 
  • noman
    Options
    It will be the joint claim account it will go into. Is that account still open with just the one name removed? 

Yes it is.

I never thought about it like that,the joint claim payment went into ex partners account which is still open as it is where her now single payment is paid into.

• poppy123456
    Options
    My assessment period is from the 8th. The assessment periods confuse me. Will it go back to the normal amount in December? Thanks 
    It will tell you at the top of the statements page what dates the assessment periods cover. They last for 30 days every month.

What date do you usually receive your money each month? What date did you report the changes? you didn’t answer that question? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    noman said:

Yes it is.

I never thought about it like that,the joint claim payment went into ex partners account which is still open as it is where her now single payment is paid into.

The reason it will go into that one is because that was the account used for the payments at that time. 

I understand you were told differently and it won’t be the first time UC have given incorrect advice. 

It can’t go into your bank account because for this claim you won’t be entitled to it because your assessment period ended after the qualifying period. 

Are you able to ask your ex for half of that payment? 
  • lawraahh30
    Options
    I usually get the money on the 15th every month. It doesn’t say now because I have no statements showing at the moment. It says my statement will show on the 11th and I will get paid on the 15th. 
    I reported the changes today. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I usually get the money on the 15th every month. It doesn’t say now because I have no statements showing at the moment. It says my statement will show on the 11th and I will get paid on the 15th. 
    I reported the changes today. 
    That means your assessment periods for the joint claim would have been 9th to 8th of every month. They will remain the same for this claim. 

Your UC entitlement will be based on your circumstances on the last day of each assessment period. For this reason you will see the changes in your November payment, not the December one. 

For the cost of living payment the money will go into the bank account where the payment went into for the joint account. There will only be one payment of £300. 
  • noman
    Options

Yes it is.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.