Council Tax — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Council Tax

Options
Anna2007
Anna2007 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited December 2023 in Autism and neurodiversity
Dear All
About 10 days ago, an Enforcement Agent was sent to my block of flats by Kensington and Chelsea council to demand payment of council tax which apparently had not been paid. I thought that you had to get a warning  or a letter telling you that someone is coming to your flat. I knew that I had problems in paying but I had contacted the council in July by phone and by email but they did not reply. I have autism and OCD so this made me angry and my brain was racing. Who do I complain to at the council? 
Love Anna2007

Comments

• MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 493 Pioneering
    Options

Hello Anna2007

Before considering any enforcement measures, your local council typically follows a procedure involving several letters and notifications regarding unpaid council tax. These communications are designed to give you an opportunity to address the issue and work out a payment plan. 

If you believe there are extenuating circumstances that the council may not be aware of, such as your efforts to reach out to them, you have the right to contest their actions. I would recommended to promptly initiate a phone conversation with the council and follow up with an email to document the call, including the time, the person you spoke with, and a summary of the discussion. 

If you find this process challenging, consider reaching out to someone close to you for support, a family member, friend, or a local support service. Having someone assist you through this can be beneficial. 

I'm confident that, once the council understands your situation, especially your autism and OCD, they will likely be supportive in working with you to establish a suitable payment plan.

• Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,404 Scope online community team
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Hi @Anna2007, welcome to the community. Sorry this has happened to you, it sounds really stressful. 

Did you manage to contact the council again to explain your situation? Perhaps it's worth giving them another call or email, they might be able work out a plan for you.

As MW123 says above, if you find it too difficult to contact them yourself, I'm sure a trusted friend or family member could help you out. Let us know if you need any more advice and I can do some research for you :)
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.