Should I move over to uc? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should I move over to uc?

Options
shanh1
shanh1 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
Back story, 
For me, esa & pip long term 
i have one child 
private rent 
I get esa, pip, child benefit & housing 
in Scotland. 
I get the premium ect, should I move to uc? Would I be better off since I would get the extra 300 odd for my child? I understand I would loose the 100 odd transition protection but will this be better in the long run?

Has anyone changed over and regretted it? Unsure to leave it or not till they ask themselves . Thank you for reading 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,916 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Before i advise you further please may i ask if you can confirm if your ESA includes the SDP, you only mention a premium but not specifically the SDP? Do you also claim Tax Credits? and finally do you live with a partner?
    Edit.. are you 25 and over? sorry but needed to ask that so that i can get the calculation correct. Also was your child born before or after 2017?

Sorry for all those questions but need to make sure i have all the correct information before i can advise you.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • shanh1
    shanh1 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    Options
    I’m 29, live just me and my child
    yeah spd, just have esa & child benefit no tax credits, thank you 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,916 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Thanks. If you’re in the Support Group your UC will include the LCWRA element from the start of your claim.

As your ESA includes the SDP then you will also be entitled to the SDP transitional protection too, which is £132.12/month if you’re in the Support Group.

Your UC calculation should look something like this..

Standard allowance (25+) £364.74
    LCWRA element £390.06
    Child element if born before 6th April 2016 £315… if born after that £259.58
    SDP TP £132.12
    housing element… ? Unknown amount.

Total payable without rent if child born before April 2017 £1,201.92/month.  Or £1,146.50/month if child born after April 2017. 

Please note… you will need to add the housing element onto those figures. To do this you times the weekly amount by 52 and then divide by 12 for the monthly amount. 

I think it’s clear that you will be better off by claiming UC because it will include the child element. At the moment you’re not receiving any extra money for your child, other than child benefit. 

Your ESA weekly amount now is £225.45. Which is a monthly amount of £976.95. 

By claiming UC you will be better off by either £224.97/month or £169.55/month depending on when your child was born. 

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.