Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Urgent PIP Tribunal Support

Options
7501x
7501x Community member Posts: 56 Connected
Hi everyone,

I'm currently going through the appeal process for my PIP review and I am based in Worcestershire. When logging the appeal originally, I really struggled to find anyone that would support me so I turned to Citizens Advice who have supported me in filling out the paperwork needed. This has been a big help but ultimately my biggest fear/area I need support with is at the hearing itself. Can anyone please point me in the direction of support at hearings in the form of a representative?

I have been given a hearing date due in the next 3 weeks so this is very time sensitive. I have tried a few suggestions that have been given to me but to no avail.

Any help will be hugely appreciated 🙏 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,384 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Try this link to see what advice agency is local to you. https://advicelocal.uk/welfare-benefits you will need to look for something like Welfare Rights or a law centre.

Are you also aware that even if you have a rep they wouldn't be able to speak on your behalf. If you can't find anything do you have a friend or family member that could go with you for support?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,664 Pioneering
    Options
    Write brief notes to help you remember stuff, it's easy to get 'flustered'.

Check Youtube as that has some useful information.    
  • Mumpsy
    Mumpsy Community member Posts: 39 Courageous
    Options
    I had my PIP tribunal hearing yesterday and it didn't go at all as I'd thought it would. 

My first hearing had been cancelled two days before so this was a second very long wait.  My initial claim for pip was back in September 2022. 

I went to the family court on my own. I'd not slept well at all and was extremely nervous. I was put into a waiting room on my own and after about 20 minutes the door opened and a lady came in wheeling a trolly and asked me if I'm the "next case". 

She sat down and told me she was there for the 11.30 hearing and asked me my surname. I told her.  I'd assumed she was from the court, but she then told me she was from the DWP. She then said "I shouldn't be telling you this, but I've spoken to the judge already and I've asked them to rule in your favour". I was absolutely dumbfounded.  She then went on to discuss elements of my claim, and said how it should never have got to this stage. 

There was a knock on the door and she was called away. I sat there another 10 minutes or so on my own when there was a knock on the door and the clerk came in, sat down, and told me I could go home as the judge has spoken to the representative from DWP and she'd ruled in my favour! 

I walked out of that court in a complete daze. I'm still in shock now. Fabulous result but my goodness what they put me through for months and months waiting for 24.10.23. I'd dreaded it !! It just makes a mockery of the whole process. Refusing my mandatory reconsideration then just more or less saying, yes, we were wrong. 

Hope this gives some comfort to someone else going through this. ❣️
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,836 Scope online community team
    Options
    Wow @Mumpsy, I love a good happy ending, congratulations!   The waiting is definitely the worst part in my opinion.  

Thank you for sharing, it's always nice to see some success stories to help put people at ease. <3 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • honestjon
    honestjon Community member Posts: 173 Pioneering
    Options
    Mumpsy said:
    I had my PIP tribunal hearing yesterday and it didn't go at all as I'd thought it would. 

My first hearing had been cancelled two days before so this was a second very long wait.  My initial claim for pip was back in September 2022. 

I went to the family court on my own. I'd not slept well at all and was extremely nervous. I was put into a waiting room on my own and after about 20 minutes the door opened and a lady came in wheeling a trolly and asked me if I'm the "next case". 

She sat down and told me she was there for the 11.30 hearing and asked me my surname. I told her.  I'd assumed she was from the court, but she then told me she was from the DWP. She then said "I shouldn't be telling you this, but I've spoken to the judge already and I've asked them to rule in your favour". I was absolutely dumbfounded.  She then went on to discuss elements of my claim, and said how it should never have got to this stage. 

There was a knock on the door and she was called away. I sat there another 10 minutes or so on my own when there was a knock on the door and the clerk came in, sat down, and told me I could go home as the judge has spoken to the representative from DWP and she'd ruled in my favour! 

I walked out of that court in a complete daze. I'm still in shock now. Fabulous result but my goodness what they put me through for months and months waiting for 24.10.23. I'd dreaded it !! It just makes a mockery of the whole process. Refusing my mandatory reconsideration then just more or less saying, yes, we were wrong. 

Firstly well done but this should be stopped.
    The dwp are obviously not taking it seriously with thousands and thousands of people suffering while they play a stupid game of bluff.
    The game is not fair and waiting until the tribunal hearing date to admit defeat is cruel on claimants when they have been waiting months.
    The dwp and the assessment providers are a disgrace 
  • dan1
    dan1 Community member Posts: 17 Listener
    Options
    Mumpsy said:

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have my tribunal in 3 weeks and have been waiting for approximately the same time as yourself. I scored 7 points after telephone assessment and no change at MR stage. Ive struggled finding support, found CAB not much use.  Where i live in Lancashire i cant access support in greater Manchester so found a company in Preston who said they could help once i had a hearing date. The company say they cant accompany me to court as its in Wigan, not Lancashire where i live.
    Ive submitted all the evidence i have, medication physical therapy details.
    Ive written personal accounts of the pain and problems i experience every day.
    I dont know if i have prepared myself or my evidence is going to be accepted.
    Im absolutely dreading going to the hearing and travelling by public transport something ive not done for a long time since a bad experience.

• 7501x
    Options
    Mumpsy said:

Oh wow I'm so so pleased for you!! What an amazing outcome. I bet its awful knowing you had the long drawn out process but try to focus on the fact they admitted they were wrong as that's a win!

I'm 5 days away from my case and I'm feeling so sick with nerves. Could I possibly ask what your case was against DWP? Just so I can get an idea of what is going in the claimant’s favour etc x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,384 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    7501x said:
    Mumpsy said:

I'm 5 days away from my case and I'm feeling so sick with nerves. Could I possibly ask what your case was against DWP? Just so I can get an idea of what is going in the claimant’s favour etc x

Each individual case is different. PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis so even if mumpsy does have the same conditions as you, it isn't going to help because we are all affected differently by these conditions. It's impossible to compare 2 people.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Mumpsy
    Mumpsy Community member Posts: 39 Courageous
    Options
    Mine is for a trapped nerve in my spine. It makes life very very hard for me on a daily basis, I need help with a lot of things, such as dressing and washing etc 

• 7501x
    Options
    Mumpsy said:
    Mine is for a trapped nerve in my spine. It makes life very very hard for me on a daily basis, I need help with a lot of things, such as dressing and washing etc 

I'm so sorry to hear you struggle so much 😔 I have herniated discs in my lower and middle spine and neck. Fibromyalgia and complex regional pain syndrome. I too need help with pretty much everything I do. Can I ask what you were awarded by DWP? I'm only 2 points away from enhanced on one section and 3 on the other. It gives me a bit of hope but I'm also ridiculous anxious that I will get too overwhelmed in the hearing and mess things up for myself just through pure nerves. I also have mental health difficulties. We are given the short straw in life aren't we! But I.always tell myself there's many people worse off (sadly) 😕 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.