Feeling unsure now . — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Feeling unsure now .

Options
Strawberry1
Strawberry1 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 2,569 Disability Gamechanger
For a while now by discussing things with a mental health worker I thought I could have autism.  When change occurs it Really puts me in a very upset state.  I prefer being on my own . Not at all interested in being in people's company . Trying to fit in . Copying people's behaviour to seem the same etc . I did watch something and now I question myself.  I'm awaiting an assessment and am very worried I'm Travelling down the wrong path . 

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @strawberry1 I'm sorry you feel you may be travelling down the wrong path but sometimes eliminating things is just as big of a help. I know it can be exhausting and I'm keeping everything crossed your assessment gives you some answers <3  
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Bettahm
    Bettahm Community member Posts: 1,439 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    For a while now by discussing things with a mental health worker I thought I could have autism.  When change occurs it Really puts me in a very upset state.  I prefer being on my own . Not at all interested in being in people's company . Trying to fit in . Copying people's behaviour to seem the same etc . I did watch something and now I question myself.  I'm awaiting an assessment and am very worried I'm Travelling down the wrong path . 
    I found when I got my late autism diagnosis it answered a lot of questions! Like why I'd struggled all my life trying to cope with people mainly. Answer is I cant, long story short. Plus some sensory issues, planning and having a rigid routine, etc. Yes I was copying people to try and fit in. Being someone I wasnt, masking. Over the years for me it led to alcohol abuse. Not now, but I have several mental health issues. 
    We really need more support for autistic adults in this country, and more understanding and tolerance from society in general, particularly medical and mh professionals. 
    We are Blessed to have this community here at Scope for support and advise, and we have each other.
    In the end I was glad to get the diagnosis and find out finally the cause of my problems. I can put a name to it.
    I actually have a lapel badge 'I have autism' 
    So there, world. Your problem!  :smile:
  • Strawberry1
    Options
    The support here is great . Thanks again @Hannah_Scope and @Bettahm your support means a great deal to me . Sorry for late response. 
  • Bettahm
    Options
    The support here is great . Thanks again @Hannah_Scope and @Bettahm your support means a great deal to me . Sorry for late response. 
    There are some great videos on YouTube 
    Ted Talks Autism is a bunch of vids with autistic people talking about autism. Google that and the first vid is an autistic lady who works in and with the autistic community.
    Orion Kelly is another good one.
    These vids could be very helpful because they are people who are autistic not people who 'know' about autism. 
    God Bless you on your journey. 
  • Strawberry1
    Options
    @Bettahm , I've only just noticed this . I got confused for some reason so I've only just read it . Thanks for the information.  I will definitely check these out . Thank you so much.  High 5 .
  • Bettahm
    Options
    @Bettahm , I've only just noticed this . I got confused for some reason so I've only just read it . Thanks for the information.  I will definitely check these out . Thank you so much.  High 5 .
    You are welcome 
    Think much better to be counseled in autism by someone with it then by someone who has taken a course in it! The vids are great and they cover so much.
  • Strawberry1
    Options
    Thanks again @Bettahm , your support is really appreciated.  Your a real gem 💎.  I very grateful. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.