Hurdles to Disability Facilities Grants and a post code lottery. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hurdles to Disability Facilities Grants and a post code lottery.

Options
kc1978
kc1978 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
So I applied for the DFG in May, due to administrative errors it took them till October to contact me. I'm waiting to be told I am losing my job (certainty). However on paper I'm in employment. The soft initial financial assessment therefore means I do not qualify. I have already spent all savings and spare income on equipment and renovations , wet room, stairlift, wheel chairs. I asked for the assessment to be completed. This was refused, so I have challenged this as it is written into law I should have an assessment of need despite eligibility. 
I am now unable to leave my home. Ramps have been quoted at £3500-4000 which it would take me years to save. I was also told that government allow you just over  £200 a week to live on any income above this would be taken as contribution towards any works.I would love to see them live on that. I currently have a mortgage, which costs the same amount per week. I am stuck with a mortgage provider paying high interest and negative equity (Mortgage Prisoner). I don't live in a big house my mortgage payments have increases 100% as a result of inflation/government policy.

My local authority do not offer any of the options that the government propose such as 0% loans, discretionary payments which are reclaimed if you sell, or like a neighbouring authority any work under £5000 is completed without financial assessment.

In the mean time, I am now house bound. I am refusing to crawl across the floor to get out of my house I have developed pressure sores. I used to do this as I thought it would be short term but it is not very pleasant and is very undignified, causes me huge amounts of pain, and is a struggle to get back in my home.

I can't believe that even now it appears that instead of helping, there are more barriers. Everything is a battle just to get things which would just make life easier.
I will await to be notified of loss of job, then reapply with automatic passport to DFG but I will need to reapply and possibly wait months again. 
Wondering if anybody has had similar awful experiences with DFG process, or any advice.

I have had to l fight for any help, go through appeals to get PIP the tribunal awarded an additional 6 points to what the assessor gave and was awarded high rate carers, DWP said I was entitled to £0.00

Is it just my luck? Or is generally this people's experience of disabled life. 

It's exhausting, stressful and so unfair. It actually feels cruel and purposeful at times.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing any advice, tips, and experiences.

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @kc1978

Welcome to the community! :) 

I am so sorry to hear about what you are going through. It isn't right. I would encourage you to reach out to Citizen's Advice and also contact your local MP to see if there is any support they can provide. I would also encourage you to look at Turn2Us to see if there are any other grants you could be eligible for. 

I really hope the community can be a place of support for you and you can make friends here <3 I was housebound due to health reasons and would of loved to know about the Coffee Lounge sooner. The members are really lovely! 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • kc1978
    Options
    @Hannah_Scope thanks for the advice, and I will be contacting them. 
    It is good to be here and I hope to meet other people in the online community. My disability is recent just over 2 years but the changes have been massive. Thanks for the welcome 🤗
  • slamdunk23
    slamdunk23 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi I'm Jamie is there any advice you can give me my mum is 72, she gets pension which doesn't get anything else in her sin :& signed off work so I don't get much but I do help out but my mum is really struggling I help hed with food and electric and gas,my mum is to anxious even pick up phone she is really struggling even.with money,,& even with what i helo i pilut money electric gas & fond .it's like wee libe off each other benefit & we are really struggling ,is there any  extra help she can get
  • kc1978
    Options
    @slamdunk23
    I think older generations don't like asking for help. I think it's put on a brave face, and don't ask for charity.
    My advice would be speak to your social services team.
    Mum may give you permission to speak on her behalf. They will confirm this.
    There is lots of help out there and they should be able guide you through it.

Hope you got some help and advice

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.