New government policy on bins — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New government policy on bins

Options
Wibbles
Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,606 Pioneering
edited October 2023 in Coffee lounge
We're all going to have to use 3 large bins for recycling in the near future
This is going to cause havoc with wheelchair access to pavements because of the lack of front gardens for terraced houses a round me (many open front doors straight onto the narrow pavement) 
Where do they keep they bins?
Outside the front of their houses
https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/consistency-in-household-and-business-recycling-in-england/outcome/government-response

Comments

• Strawberry1
    Strawberry1 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 2,569 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The council or government never think properly.  Sending hugs. 
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,379 Scope online community team
    Options
    Do you have a link to this information please? I've not heard anything about 3 bins. 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Wibbles
    edited October 2023
    Options
  • Strawberry1
    Strawberry1 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 2,569 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    So sorry 🙏 @Wibbles . 4  good grief. What are they playing at ? Honestly somethings are a joke. 
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,379 Scope online community team
    Options
    all of my area currently have 3 bins, one normal waste, one recycling, one garden waste. So all this would mean for us is we'd not have to drive down to a bottle bank to get rid of any glass.   But coming from a city, I can see it could cause more issues with terraced housing on bin collection day.

My old local government trialed small food waste bins and they didn't work at all well. Mostly down to a combination of drunk people, foxes and hot weather.  :s   
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,772 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have found that people from the green agenda often don't consider working class people. E.g. electric cars - they assume we all have access to a house with a drive and somewhere to charge our car. They don't think about poorer people who live in flats or terraced houses.

Not saying this from a selfish point of view, I am lucky to have space for more bins and would welcome not having to drive down to get rid of glass bottles, the current requirement to drive down to the bottle bank sort of defeats the point in being environmentally friendly by recycling the bottles.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,712 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Amongst other things recently the PM said they had stopped plans to make everyone have 7 bins..there was NEVER a policy to do this, he also said he had put a stop to taxing red meat again something there were no plans for.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Wibbles
    Options
    all of my area currently have 3 bins, one normal waste, one recycling, one garden waste. So all this would mean for us is we'd not have to drive down to a bottle bank to get rid of any glass.   But coming from a city, I can see it could cause more issues with terraced housing on bin collection day.

My old local government trialed small food waste bins and they didn't work at all well. Mostly down to a combination of drunk people, foxes and hot weather.  :s   
    Not only "bin day"
    Try 365 days a year
    If there is no front garden or access to back apart from through the house, the bins stay out front 24/7 blocking pavements from wheelchair access 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.