Re claiming uc as a stay at home parent — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Re claiming uc as a stay at home parent

lydia5683 Community member Posts: 39 Listener
Hi, I was wondering if it was possible to claim uc if you are a stay at home parent or partner and dont want to look for work and you arent looking after any children



  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,274 Disability Gamechanger
    Anyone can claim UC but whether there's any entitlement will depend on your circumstances. If you live with a partner, you'll need to claim as a couple and your joint circumstances will be taken into consideration.

    When claiming UC you're classed as a job seeker unless you're a carer or you've been found to have LCW or LCWRA. Are you asking this question for yourself because i see form some previous threads that you were  claiming UC that includes the LCWRA element.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jimm_Scope
    Jimm_Scope Posts: 2,705 Scope online community team
    Hey @lydia5683, what Poppy says about UC is (of course) correct.

    If you, or someone you know, is looking for answers about benefits they can try a benefits calculator such as Turn2us Benefits Calculator
    They/Them, however they are no wrong pronouns with me so whatever you feel most comfortable with
    Online Community Specialist

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us. 
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions are my own, such as mashed potato being bad.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.