MAKING FRIENDS — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

MAKING FRIENDS

geek84
geek84 Scope Member Posts: 95 Courageous
Good Morning

I was born with left hemiplegia and throughout my life I have struggled to make friends.  I was frequently teased and bullied in school and college.
Even though I now have a full time job, I still struggle to make long terms friends due to my disability.

Does anyone else struggle with this?  If so, how have you overcome this problems?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• geek84
    Hi Folks

I was born with left hemiplegia and as I am getting older I am finding it difficult to carry out everyday tasks at home.  Even though my wife and children help out, they are getting older and have their own lives to live.

Can anyone kindly advice how I can overcome this problem?

Is there any type of help that I can access?

Thanks in advance.
  • Hannah_Scope
    Hannah_Scope Posts: 7,270 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @geek84

Welcome to the community! :) I hope you are keeping well?

I'm sorry to hear you were teased and bullied. I can understand it is difficult to make long term friends when you have a disability. I only have a small group of long term friends now. I hope we in the community can be a place of support for you and a way to make friends. 

I'd also encourage you to see what events or clubs may be hosted in your area that you could attend? I started researching my ancestry and now sometimes go to the local history club meetings to help support that research. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • geek84
    Thanks Hannah_Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.