Universal credit migration — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal credit migration

Pollypolly23 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi wondered if anyone could help. I get high PIP for care and mobility (lifetime award) with disabilities premium on tax credits and housing benefit. I have 1 child and a husband who works full-time around looking after me. I have received migration letter for universal credit will I have to attend an assessment. Thank you


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,770 Disability Gamechanger
    There's no disability premiums payable when claiming UC. I'm afraid you will yes, if your health condition limits your capability for work. 

    When you claim UC will need to make sure you report your health condition and then provide a fit note within 7 days of that. You will need to continue to send them without any gaps until a decision is made on your work capability assessment. Usually around day 29 you will be referred for the WCA, once this is done you'll receive a letter on your journal telling you that you're being referred. A few days later you will receive the UC50 form in the post. You need to make sure you fill this in and return it with all your additional supporting evidence. More details here. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-if-you-have-a-disability-or-health-condition-quick-guide/universal-credit-if-you-have-a-disability-or-health-condition

    When you claim UC if your husband cares for you for at least 35 hours per week then they can report being your carer. Your UC will then include the carers element, which is an extra £185.86/month. There's no earnings limit with this like there is with carers allowance. (assuming no one else claims either carere element or carers allowance for looking after you.

    There's also a managed migration guide that i put together here. https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/110560/uc-managed-migration-guide#latest it should answer any additional questions you have.

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Pollypolly23
    Pollypolly23 Community member Posts: 2 Listener


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.