Council tax reduction when in receipt of Pip and U advice — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Council tax reduction when in receipt of Pip and U advice

JamesG Community member Posts: 7 Connected
Hi there, my friend has just moved in to a new Dudley Council property. She lives on her own and is in receipt of solo UC and Pip claims. 

She was previously at a Birmingham City Council address and received 100% exception for council tax, however since recently getting the Dudley council address she has now recieved a letter stating she will be getting a 25% exception only.

This appears to be only the solo occupancy discount and by doing initial research all we keep finding is a disability band reduction (which doesnt appear to have been awarded thus far). 

Can anyone confirm this is correct and that pip and uc claimants don't receive that which they do in Birmingham ie the 100% council tax exemption?

Any other help and advice would be greatly appreciated. 

We look forward to hearing off you wonderful people 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,744 Disability Gamechanger
    All local Authorities have their own rules for council tax reduction so I wouldn’t be able to advise on that. However, if she’s not working then I would expect her to be entitled to some council tax reduction. 

    There’s some information here on the disabled band reduction.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 590 Scope online community team
    Hello @JamesG

    As Poppy mentioned, I believe these kind of things are different in each specific local authority, so unfortunately it could just be that Dudley don't offer the full reductions. However I'm no expert on this, so perhaps one of our members will be along shortly to offer some more local knowledge :)

    I know it can be a bit of an undertaking, but if your friend feels as if this isn't right, it might be worth getting in touch with the council to clear things up and see if she's entitled to any further reductions based on her circumstances. 

    I hope she's able to get some answers soon!
    Rosie (she/her)

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Kimmy87
    Kimmy87 Community member Posts: 145 Pioneering
    edited October 28
    Has she actually applied for Council Tax Reduction? 

    What you have described sounds like CT discounts. CTR is seperate. 

    When I moved last year my single persons discount and CTR award were applied for seperately.
    The first through the CT department and the second through the benefits section of the local authority. 

    Information and an application link for Dudley can be found here:
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 10,458 Disability Gamechanger
    CTR is an odd one where we live its 90% 2 miles down the road its only 50%
    Seasons greetings to one and all 🎄🎅🏻🌲


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.